Newness

Aspylacide

Feb 13, 2015
Hello Everyone,
I just came across a free 2000 Mustang Base V6 and i'm likely going to be doing a lot of work on it. As of now, I think the only aftermarket mod completed on the car is a Flowmaster 40 series single pipe exhaust.

Here's some things I plan on doing now, let me know your thoughts and if I should do anything else.

Flowmaster cat-back 409s Dual Force II exhaust upgrade (Going for true dual exhaust)
T-LOK (No idea where to start)
3.73 gears

I NEED new shocks because the ones that are already on the car are so flat the front end wont bounce when you push down on it... Also, not sure where to start since there are so many different options.

Thanks for the help!

• Sponsors (?)

Hello Everyone,
I just came across a free 2000 Mustang Base V6 and i'm likely going to be doing a lot of work on it. As of now, I think the only aftermarket mod completed on the car is a Flowmaster 40 series single pipe exhaust.

Here's some things I plan on doing now, let me know your thoughts and if I should do anything else.

Flowmaster cat-back 409s Dual Force II exhaust upgrade (Going for true dual exhaust)
T-LOK (No idea where to start)
3.73 gears

I NEED new shocks because the ones that are already on the car are so flat the front end wont bounce when you push down on it... Also, not sure where to start since there are so many different options.

Thanks for the help!
Keep your eyes on the lookout for a 1999-2004 8.8 rear out of a gt. It should have the locker in it. Also gears will be easier to buy for the 8.8 vs the (7.5 i believe it is.) The car should still bounce in the front if the shocks were gone. Hell it would bounce to much which is a sign of bad shocks. Now if the car isn't bouncing at all and the front seems really low I'd check for a collapsed spring(s). I had dual flow master 40s with custom h pipe that was all 2 1/2" pipe on my two toned vert. Sounded good.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1424117528674.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1424117528674.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 102
Thanks @madspeed.

@JLB3, Thanks for the tip on the rear end, think it would be an easy junkyard find? I've been looking for new gear's but it's near impossible to find anything not 8.8 or larger. As far as the shocks go, I still don't have the car yet. my brother took it to his mechanic and he said the struts were bad. I'm not totally sure that's right either. I talked to him today and apparently the guy just floor jacked it up half a foot and told him the struts were bad, and i'm not sure how you could make that determination just from doing that. I'll have to check the struts / coils myself when I get the car on Saturday.

Junkyard could be tough BC they go fast but still possible. Craigslist b where to start. A locker for the 7.5 is available but can't remember what brand but if I do remember it was around $300-$400 for just the locker. Can find a used 8.8 possibly cheaper. Struts are an easy diy on those cars. Also check wheel bearings up front. Went through 3 of them

Hmmm, We'll I checked Les Shwab and it's $358 for struts (KYB Exel-G). Thinking about going though them since it's warrantied, at least. I'll still need to check the coil springs myself. If the coils are bad and the struts are OK, is it worth it to just drive it until I can upgrade to coilovers? My brother just changed the tires today, and apparently the wheel shake and left steering pull has stopped, so that's good.

The car is a manual 5-speed with 134,000 miles. So it's not terrible. When this engine die's I'll probably throw in a 2007 F-150 4.2L V6 in it. How long do you think it's got left? It's been through 4 owners and I don't know how they drove it, but the engine sounds ok to me.

Just keep in mind your long term goals for the car. Do you plan on keeping for a long time to come? Or are you gonna get the v8 itch eventually? Coilovers would be worthless if your gonna upgrade. 5 speed is the dinner version so that's good. My synchros in the trans were in soso shape. 5th gear is know for issues so keep an eye on that. Had to do a clutch at 95k. I kept mine till about 165k miles on it. Then the dealer sold it and I saw an older gentlemen driving it around for about two more years after that. I have heard of people getting 200k plus from that engine. The 3.8 is very durable. I beat the piss out of mine n it ran good for me.

Your speed is also measured at the trans via drive cable. So if you change gear ratio you will also have to change the gear attached to that cable. That goes for tire size change as well

Well, That's what I'm mainly deciding before I bother with large upgrades. My first car was an Oldsmobile 88, which has the exact same engine (those last 350k easy). Ford just reverse engineered it from the Buick V6, so Im super familiar with it. Honestly, I don't see the want's forthe V8 coming any time soon, but I would like a better 0-60 than the stock 7.1 Seconds. I'm fine keeping this car until the body dies. Also, the MPG on the V8 doesn't thrill me either. lol.

Once you put gears in it you will lose a couple mpg but not much and probably the best bang for the buck option next to a locker. I had a small mod list for mine I never got around to.

8.8 rear
3:73 gears
Exhaust
Intake
93 Tune
Wheels/tires
Lowering kit 2in
Short throw shifter
Windstar intake (plastic intake manifolf from a mini van that nets something like 15hp)
Upgrade the radio head unit and speakers.
Gt rear bumper for exhaust cutouts.
Was gonna stripe it but went two tone.
Oh and can't forget window tint

lulz @ JDM stickers

Thanks for that build list. It seems like most of those mod's are to the car vs the engine, which is cool since I plan on doing the engine swap in the long run. Also, I was doing some research on short throw shifters yesterday, I think I'm going to go with the MGW shifter. It's a little pricey but from what I've read on them it's well worth it.

As far as lowering it, I'm getting FRPP C- sprints, which'll lower it about 1 and 1/2 inches.

Exaust, I've found it's already modded with Flowmaster 40's and has the cutouts. I don't know if it's the GT bumber or just as modded stock though. Either way, cut outs are already there.

intake, windstar intake, huh? What's up with that?

Thanks for the video. I checked a couple rigs out and it seems like something worth doing. I'll probably get one when I get a CAI.

So, I got the car. I had a buddy listen to it with me because it's :leghump:ing LOUD!!! I know there is an exhaust leak, but it's in the rear of the car under the gas tank (sort of). Anyhow, my buddy think's there's also one on the driver side down pipe. It smells of rich exhaust and unburned gasoline. There are no leaks in the fuel lines though, so it isn't that. I'm also gonna check the injectors for leaks tomorrow, but I don't think that's the problem.

Stock exhaust manifolds are prone to cracking. Something with the ac lines that pass over them drip condensation on them. Causing them to crack. Had to replace both of mine. That would cause a rich mixture BC the 02 censors are reading less Burt fuel so it pours more in when not needed