No Low Beams On 66

Jeff Massey

Jun 20, 2016
Centerville, OH
Hello All,
Completely rewired my car with Painless kit, now I have no low beams.
I jumpered the dimmer switch and both low and high beams work, so I replaced the dimmer switch with two new ones and same result both times, no low beams.
I'm guessing that the dimmer switch is not grounded?
I also understand that there's supposed to be an insulator between the dimmer switch and floorpan, and according to Mustang 360 it's very important.
Thanks for any input -Jeff

• Sponsors (?)

I had the same issues that you have had on my painless harness. No wiper motor and no low beams. Turned out my harness was miswired at the connectors by Painless. Two wires at the dimmer were crossed and the same for the wiper harness but the miswire on the wiper was done at the wiper switch - They listed a drawing of the back of the wiper switch which showed color-coded wires and which blade went where and also a listing which showed which spot (a,b,c,d etc) they went on the back of the switch. The drawing was wrong but the list was right (I initially followed the drawing.) since then they have corrected the diagram and you can download a new one on their site.
In addition to that I had a miswired connection on the blinker harness. It must have been Friday on a holiday week-end when they wired our harnesses up?
Of course there is no mention on their website about previous diagrams being wrong.
Your High and Low beams use the same ground so if one works then the other should so I'll bet its crossed/miswired connection.

Also, I believe I got two books with my kit but one was for 65 - 66 and the other 67 - 68? At one point I grabbed the wrong book and it goofed me up a bit. Check the front cover and make sure you have the right one, they look the same.
Or even better, Here's a pdf of the latest diagram. See pager 24 for the wiper switch diagram.

Attachments

• Painless.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 213
Yes that's the diagram I have, only got one book but I believe I got my harness in early '12 (installed 4 years later of course) I've only checked the lights for functionality, so I only know that the high beam indicator is on when the lights work, so I assumed they were high beams. Bottom line is 3 different dimmer switches cannot make the same connection that a simple jumper wire can. I will verify tonight if the high beams are actually high beams.