no start---pulling my hair out!!!

cobramat

Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
Hi guys I'm looking for some guidance. My 95 cobra just died while driving it and I can't for the life of me figure out w-t-f. I have 36 psi fuel pressure to the rail, 12v to the injectors. Spark to the plugs. .94 tps. The car cranks but doesn't even try to start. I was thinking maybe the maf sensor but everyone says it should run even if the maf is bad. Please help. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to :SNSign:

You'll need to pick up a noid light to effectively check the injectors. They'll always have +12v at the plug with KOEO. They pulse with the EEC grounding them, so the noid light is necessary to check for the pulse. Does the fuel pump prime when you turn the key on? I'm betting it's the common problem of a bad PIP in the distributor.

The MAF can be the issue on some cars (just having it come loose from the ducting can cause a stalling situation).

If you have spark, the PIP and TFI should be fine but as Matt noted, you might have an issue with the control signal to the injectors. A noid light will tell the story.

Good luck.

Swap out the dizzy. Either the PIP sensor is bad or the dizzy shaft could be cracked just below the gear. Same thing happened to me in the past. I was driving along and it just shut off and wouldn't start back up.

He has spark. That means his dizzy should be fine.

Thanks guys for some imput. My gut feeling was distributor but it sparks just fine. I haven't got a chance to check the injectors wit a noid light yet. Could it be possible to get spark with the pip in the dizzy bad? Maybe causing the timing to be off?

It's more likely that the dizzy simply came loose and the timing is off. This can allow quick cranking.

If you have a timing light, you can check timing while cranking.
An LED can get you by instead of a noid light but the noid is best (and needed if the LED doesnt illuminate because you dont know if the LED is bad/not working or the injector control is missing).

Ok. I am new to Stangnet and have been racking my brain over an issue with my 95 Cobra. I am having similar issues as stated above. I have spark. Checked by pulling plug and cranking engine and watching for the spark. The fuel pump is primed because I can hear it kick on and pump. I have fuel getting to the fuel rails. The car does crank over and has started and ran fine, but it is intermittent. I changed fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. Changed one wire at a time so I know they are connected in the right order. Rotor was placed in exact position as old. Not sure what it is because it had started the other day and when I turned the fan inside the car the engine stalled. I was thinking perhaps it was an electrical load thing. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to StangNet!

First of all, a minor etiquette issue: you should probably not resurrect really old threads like this for your own problem. It's actually better to post your own new thread.

You'll find posts from @jrichker on here; he's probably forgotten more about these cars than I'll ever know. Here's a link to a similar thread, where he posts his checklist for crank-but-no-start problems:

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/epic-fox-no-start.891343/

Go through that, and you'll most likely end up finding your problem. If not, start a new thread and post what you've found, and one of our helpful folks will be along shortly.

Good luck!