Noisy Interior?

Mar 3, 2016
Hey guys,
I hope you don't mind but I wanted to reach out and get some information & opinions regarding the noise level inside your rides.

We have developed a 4 layer sound deadening mat that takes about 30 seconds to install. Its pre cut & it just drops in. Place it over your carpet/mat in your trunk (there is not no adhesive) We designed and have been selling these for the Corvettes for years. It drop approx. 8 db's!
However we are looking to see if other makes and models have the same noise issues & could benefit from our mats. We would design it for the Mustangs.
I could not think of a better way to get solid info & opinions then to speak to the enthusiasts themselves.

Do you guys get a lot of tire & road noise? This applies especially to people in certain states like TX, FL, CA, where some roads make the tires roar.

Stock or after market exhaust to loud for long trips?

Since we want to make the mat pre shaped, I was wondering what years/gen if any, share the same trunk shape.

I appreciate any help. Thank you for reading this!

Ed

• Sponsors (?)

Hey guys,
I hope you don't mind but I wanted to reach out and get some information & opinions regarding the noise level inside your rides.

We have developed a 4 layer sound deadening mat that takes about 30 seconds to install. Its pre cut & it just drops in. Place it over your carpet/mat in your trunk (there is not no adhesive) We designed and have been selling these for the Corvettes for years. It drop approx. 8 db's!
However we are looking to see if other makes and models have the same noise issues & could benefit from our mats. We would design it for the Mustangs.
I could not think of a better way to get solid info & opinions then to speak to the enthusiasts themselves.

Do you guys get a lot of tire & road noise? This applies especially to people in certain states like TX, FL, CA, where some roads make the tires roar.

Stock or after market exhaust to loud for long trips?

Since we want to make the mat pre shaped, I was wondering what years/gen if any, share the same trunk shape.

I appreciate any help. Thank you for reading this!

Ed

Being I have a convertible, I doubt it would make much difference. However, you make something to make my dash trim stop rattling and I'm in.

Trunk shape is fairly consistent from 1979 to 1993 but differ between the 3 body styles; hatchback, notchback, and convertible. 1994 to 2004 are pretty much the same save for the convertible vs. coupe. 2005 through 2009 are the same, again the difference is between coupe and convertible. 2010 through 2014 just differ between coupe and convertible. 15 and up coupe and convertible, same as the others.

The largest market is the foxbody (79 to 93, most of which are hatchbacks), they made millions of the things 14 years. Truth be told, they probably have the most to gain in reducing the noise level. They will probably have the greatest challenge to quiet them down too. SN95 or New Edge (94 to 04) ditched the hatchbacks and kept the trunk separated/enclosed from the passenger compartment.

Being I have a convertible, I doubt it would make much difference. However, you make something to make my dash trim stop rattling and I'm in.
I hear ya but even with the corvettes, the verts still suffered with tire/road noise leaking in. We have a system for the convertibles also. So if you have a roar from the wheels, exhaust is to loud, Id want to know. its possible the mats could help.

As for the rattling dash, we do. Its called DeadMats. But as a curtesy to the forum we rather not advertise (until we are a paid sponcor) I hope you can understand.

Thank you!

Trunk shape is fairly consistent from 1979 to 1993 but differ between the 3 body styles; hatchback, notchback, and convertible. 1994 to 2004 are pretty much the same save for the convertible vs. coupe. 2005 through 2009 are the same, again the difference is between coupe and convertible. 2010 through 2014 just differ between coupe and convertible. 15 and up coupe and convertible, same as the others.

The largest market is the foxbody (79 to 93, most of which are hatchbacks), they made millions of the things 14 years. Truth be told, they probably have the most to gain in reducing the noise level. They will probably have the greatest challenge to quiet them down too. SN95 or New Edge (94 to 04) ditched the hatchbacks and kept the trunk separated/enclosed from the passenger compartment.

Yes the hatchbacks are real vulnerable to noise coming in. I would jump on the 79-93 BUT, my guess is by now most probably have done something to rid the interior unwanted.
Hmmmm Very interesting. I'm going to chew on this for a bit. Tremendous info

Thank you

Last edited:
Just my opinion but it almost seems that the fox bodies are kinda falling out of favor with the modding crowd. The fox used to be everywhere and everyone was working on them. I don't see the foxes out and about as much as SN95 and New Edge.

Think the fox guys are starting to horde/collect the ones that are still in good shape. The ones in bad shape, like usual, are probably being torn down for racing. Maybe its just me but it sure does seem like its SN95 and New Edges turn to be the most readily modified/hobby cars.

Just my opinion but it almost seems that the fox bodies are kinda falling out of favor with the modding crowd. The fox used to be everywhere and everyone was working on them. I don't see the foxes out and about as much as SN95 and New Edge.

Think the fox guys are starting to horde/collect the ones that are still in good shape. The ones in bad shape, like usual, are probably being torn down for racing. Maybe its just me but it sure does seem like its SN95 and New Edges turn to be the most readily modified/hobby cars.
Understood. ...and makes perfectly good sense. They did make so many within these years so I'm not sure. But this is exactly why I'm hear asking. To get answers straight from the enthusiasts. Thank you!

I'd like my 'vert to be quieter on the road...but my pretty unscientific testing* leads me to believe most of the road noise, at least in a convertible, is coming from under/behind the rear seat, not so much the trunk area. Heck, behind the rear seat there is nothing between the interior and the road noise but a piece of vinyl and a single layer of sheet metal.

*When I was DD my Mustang I drove for a couple weeks with no back seat and the noise level was unbelievable; OTOH having the trunk STUFFED with blankets and the like or having the trunk's inside trim pieces out didn't seem to make any difference in the noise level.

In all honesty, I have heard of a lot of mustang owners with our body style to complain about their exhaust being too loud, specifically ones running offroad X or H pipes, and a loud exhaust. These cars don't have too much sound deadening in them I believe so road noise is a little loud in general, haha!