Noob With A Cooling Fan Issue And Resolution.....i Think

Bex

Jul 22, 2014
My son has a 1995 3.8. We just replaced the Rad and noticed the cooling fan was not running when it got hot or with the A/C on.
I have spent quite some time looking at this problem on various forums and many of the fault finding answers.
We decided to jumper the temp sender unit(?) and got nothing. I noticed the plug looked pretty cruddy so got my canb of elec contact cleaner out and gave both parts a good spray. Worked the plug in and out a few times and guess what? The fan starts to run.
I thought I would post this in the hope it helps someone else.
I had posted somewhere else about another issue and incorrectly described my sons car. I got pretty badly flamed for that and have not been back since.
He will be giving the car to his Mother or sister fairly soon as he is going to buy a truck so I think I will be coming here a few times in the next little while.
Anyway, I hope this simple solutions helps someone else.
Cheers!

Bex

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

My son has a 1995 3.8. We just replaced the Rad and noticed the cooling fan was not running when it got hot or with the A/C on.
I have spent quite some time looking at this problem on various forums and many of the fault finding answers.
We decided to jumper the temp sender unit(?) and got nothing. I noticed the plug looked pretty cruddy so got my canb of elec contact cleaner out and gave both parts a good spray. Worked the plug in and out a few times and guess what? The fan starts to run.
I thought I would post this in the hope it helps someone else.
I had posted somewhere else about another issue and incorrectly described my sons car. I got pretty badly flamed for that and have not been back since.
He will be giving the car to his Mother or sister fairly soon as he is going to buy a truck so I think I will be coming here a few times in the next little while.
Anyway, I hope this simple solutions helps someone else.
Cheers!

Bex

Something else you can do to prevent it from happening again:

Put a squirt of dielectric grease into each of the connectors. They usually have tiny packets of the stuff sitting on the counter of your favorite parts store.

Nearly every connector within my engine bay has this.

Reactions: 1 user
Well good job on the troubleshooting. Info like this will always be beneficial to someone out there one day or two. It amazes me sometimes how the little things get over looked and money is then just thrown at an issue at hand with no resolve or even the foresight to try and do some troubleshooting first. Props to you.
Yeah, the wrecker pulled the fan at the same time as the rad and were holding it. Glad we only bought the rad.