O.T. Is there a doctor in the house?

2nd Mustang

Founding Member
Feb 24, 2002
Southern California
My doctor informed me that I have high blood pressure, and that I should monitor it closely, so bought a blood pressure machine and noticed that if I take a reading right after I wake up, it's within a somewhat normal state, around 135/70 (remember I'm older and doc told me to keep it under 140/80), but during the day it's much higher, like in the 170/90 area. I am taking blood pressure medication for a few weeks to see if it helps, but was wondering if the morning reading means it's okay and that just the normal routine of the day causes a higher blood pressure. That's what it seems to me anyway.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not a doctor, but my wife is a nurse practioner, and she monitors my blood pressure regularly (my doc sorta threatened me). What I've gathered from her is that blood pressure changes based on serveral factors, including active (including even standing and walking around) versus resting (sitting down, lying around, etc.), stressed versus relaxed, and time of day. It's supposedly naturally lower in the morning, but don't ask me why.

So, it makes sense that early in the day while you're resting and relaxed that it's low. And it makes sense that when you're up and active and stressed that it's higher. All of that said, 170/90 ain't healthy even if you're up, running around, doing jumping jacks, all while you're being told you've just been fired and you're Mustang was accidentally crushed. Stick to the medication, but I've personally found that even a little bit of exercise works wonders. Mine dropped from 150/80 to 130/60 in 2 weeks just by taking the stairs, parking further away, not being lazy and walking rather than driving 2 blocks to the corner store (which is how I found a nifty '64 T-bird in a neighbor's garage).

Hope this helps. :shrug:

also restrict you salt intake, and increase your potassium intake as well. check out www.drwhitaker.com he has some good things there in vitamins and herbs that will help keep you healthy. i take a few of his products and they are helping me keep my blood sugar inline without having to use insulin. he also has some stuff for high blood pressure as well.

Sometimes I'd have higher blood pressure (but not high) and I'm only 19. I cut most salt out of my diet and that does seems to help, however it'll be easier for you to dehydrate.

Im an intraneural surgeon , primarily focusing on cerebral hematoma , but I dabble in blood pressure. Ummm,,, ok, sorry, I lied about all that .But I did stay at a Holida,, ok I wont even go there... Id have to suggest exercise. Everyone Ive ever seen in good health in the middle to older age range stayed that way as a result of nutrition and moderate exercise. Cardio will keep the ticker strong, and bring down that blood pressure , and weights will increase bone density and muscle mass. Nutrition is the overall factor. My father had the same problems you speak of. He bought a bowflex, started eating right, and down it came.If you already eat right and exercise, medication is your last resort.

I'm an RN, and all of the advice given here is good, diet and exercise should be your first choice to controlling your B/P, but if monitoring shows that it isn't working you might need medication.
I was taught a good rule of thumb for B/P, that your systolic (top # -pressure during heart beat) pressure should be 100 + your age upto 45 and the diastolic (bottom # - heart at rest) should be under 90.
It is the DIASTOLIC that concerns most docs.....because this number reflects the continuous pressure you cardiovascular system is under, and the longer it is elevated the more problems you can have!

So, please.......DIET, EXERCISE, take your MEDS and DON'T stroke out on us!

65stanger said:
I'm an RN, and all of the advice given here is good, diet and exercise should be your first choice to controlling your B/P, but if monitoring shows that it isn't working you might need medication.
I was taught a good rule of thumb for B/P, that your systolic (top # -pressure during heart beat) pressure should be 100 + your age upto 45 and the diastolic (bottom # - heart at rest) should be under 90.
It is the DIASTOLIC that concerns most docs.....because this number reflects the continuous pressure you cardiovascular system is under, and the longer it is elevated the more problems you can have!

So, please.......DIET, EXERCISE, take your MEDS and DON'T stroke out on us!

I got my systocic number under my age, barely because I just had a birthday. :D I got the diastolic under 80 which is what my doctor wanted me to attain. I have always done a weight lifting program to help with my job but have now doubled my aerobic workout and it does help. I now eat more vegetables, fruits and have cut out most junk foods. Thanks for the info.

I would post relevant information, but its late, and I am tired, and I am supposed to be writing a speech which I am giving tommorow evening (procrastination is great).
so I will not go into to much detail. (not a Dr btw. but does an emt count?)

its normal to be low in the morning after you wake up, then as stress, or your nervous system starts to gear up for normal daily activities. It will rise.

the blood vessels will constrict or dialate which will cause changes in blood pressure. I think Its boyles law, or daltons law. I cant remember which one talked about volume as it relates to pressure.

there are a bunch of other factors, plaque, hardening of the vessels, smoking, having to take the morning poo. That could give you a higher bp.