O.T. Taxes!

2nd Mustang

Founding Member
Feb 24, 2002
Southern California
Sorry, but just had to vent. I received my property tax bill today from the Los Angeles County Tax Collector's office and to quote a Cheech and Chong sketch..........Are you out of your *%$##*&^%#@ mind?

There was a substantial raise on last year's bill, and it went up another 20% this year again..........those morons are taxing the living *%#& out of us. :notnice:

• Sponsors (?)

well has the value of your hosue gone up considerably also? Around here in Maricopa county the rough estimated tax base for property taxes is about 80-82% of Fair Market value. For example a $100,000 house would be taxed only on $80,000 (then 2 to2.5% of that = $2,000 a year in property taxes or $166.

Especially in CA the dramatic appreciate and increase in FMV (in most places) is probably the main cost driver for the increases in property taxes.

oboebrian said:
well has the value of your hosue gone up considerably also?
Especially in CA the dramatic appreciate and increase in FMV (in most places) is probably the main cost driver for the increases in property taxes.

Yes, the property values have risen dramatically since I bought this condo, but the problem is income hasn't. That is the reason my parents had to sell and move to a "more affordable" area, they couldn't keep up with the property tax increases on a fixed income. I just checked my bill, and the assessments are 26% of the tax bill!

the value of your home shouldnt change unless its either sold or reappraised/refied in the tax mans eyes. You may be able to sell it for more than you purchased the house but your tax rate would be based on what YOU paid for the home, not your neighbor or the guy around the corner ...Other than that your property taxes should remain stagnant in california as far as I know. We did have a major proposition pass not THAT long ago freezing property taxes unless there is a voter proposition in your local area.

I live in a midwest town whoes survival rests on the steel mill in town. We are also in the midst of a population shift here, many people are leaving the river bottoms, (Granite City, East St. louis, Madison, Alton, Dupo) and moving to the towns on the bluffs (Collinsville, Edwardsville, Glen Carbon, Troy) Right now Granite will pay half of your down payment to get you to move in. Ive got a bad feeling that my taxes will go up soon. They are starting to revamp parts of the town to bring new home owners and new buisness to town.

one2gamble said:
the value of your home shouldnt change unless its either sold or reappraised/refied in the tax mans eyes. You may be able to sell it for more than you purchased the house but your tax rate would be based on what YOU paid for the home, not your neighbor or the guy around the corner ...Other than that your property taxes should remain stagnant in california as far as I know. We did have a major proposition pass not THAT long ago freezing property taxes unless there is a voter proposition in your local area.

I believe that if you bought your home before a certain date, your tax was frozen (Prop 13?). The surrounding area has more than doubled in value since I bought this property after a few years of negative value. The appraised value on the property tax can change every year. BTW, I was comparing this year's tax bill with one from 2 years ago, so it's been increasing by about 10% per year.

Platonic Solid said:
Looks like California tops the list of losers as a result of Bush's Federal Estate Tax Repeal.

Remember to Vote on Nov.2

Hmmmmm..... looks like states (and feds) may have to REDUCE SPENDING....

just too bad they don't cut the things that need to be cut.. and continue to fund the stupidest money wasters...if you're that concerned about fiscal responsibility...you need to start with your state and local leaders first.

I seem to remember a line from the constitution about any right not specifically granted in the constitution being reserved for the states. States have allowed themselves to become dependent on the federal governement for way too much...