Engine Oil Burning?

arena314

Sep 15, 2015
so my 96 gt seems to be burning oil lately. when Im sitting at a stop light and rev it up it let's out a little puff of blue on deceleration. I was just in carlisle for Ford nationals and it's a 133 Mile ride away from home down the highway my brother was behind me the whole time and said he wouldn't smell anything at all until I let off the gas he said he smelled oil. went about 300 miles this weekend with it and have about 2000 miles on the oil and haven't had to add oil. what do you guys think I'm thinking rings, valve seals or pcv system, I don't Think it's rings more leaning towards valve seals or pcv. I'm running 5w20 synthetic blend in the stang. thanks

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• Sponsors (?)

idk how many miles the motor has bc it's all pi swapped. I think it's a bad valve seal what would you recommend doing to make it smoke a little less? should I put in thicker oil with high mileage additives?

I know it obviously won't fix the issue but I just want a little less smoke coming out of the tail pipes. I'm pretty sure it's valve seals bc when I'm idling for a little and give it gas the smoke comes out on deceleration. if I rev it right after that no smoke comes out or alot less comes out then if I wait a minute and do it again the same things happen. who ever had this happen with there stangs and what helped mask it a little bit? I'm thinking instead of 5w20 synthetic blend in should do 5w30 high mileage. what do you think?

It's pretty easy to do a compression test and verify what's going on. Do a compression test dry, then add a teaspoon of oil to each cylinder (as you test them, not all at once) and test again. If the numbers go up when you do the "wet" test, you need rings, if not, the problem's in the top end. Takes about 30 minutes to eliminate the guesswork.

a rebuild isn't possible right now as its my only car and it really isn't that bad. I only see smoke when starting off after sitting at a light

Most cars with some miles are going to burn oil...especially modified. You could try something like Marvel Mystery Oil for about 500 miles to see if there is some ring sticking but other that that I'd just run it.