Fox Oil Consumption...

Dyno12

Jun 19, 2014
So I'm at wits end. I have a rebuilt 306 with f303 eddy performer rpm heads and systemax upper. Car a has about 3k on motor. Ran great all last summer with no issues. Now the car is smoking bAdly. I replaced pcv valve and screen. I tryed plumbing in two pcv valves from the lower intake with an catch can. A quick ride around the block and there was a nice puddle in can. Car was still smoking tho. It smokes on start up under heavy acceleration, and even sitting at stop light. I pulled throttle body off and there was a puddle sitting right inside intake. It's leaking out between throttle body onto valve cover. I've even tryed to run no pcv with a air breather In place of pcv and breather on oil cap. The oil literally pumped out of lower intake breather all over. Not sure we're to go from here. One note is my driver side valve cover has no vent... Guess just looking for some input on we're to go from here. All motor work was done by well known shop and heads were rebuilt as well. Thanks for looking...

• Sponsors (?)

Man I'd do a compression/leakdown test and make sure you don't have a broken ring or something. It might not be something that dramatic, but it would eliminate failure there. People do make mistakes too, I know a guy that installed a piston backwards in a sbc and it egged the cylinder out losing compression. You never know..

Ok do you think one over the other? I have a compression tester but no leak down. I've seen leak down maybe a better check? I did pull two plugs yesterday both from front of motor on opposite sides. One was perfect, the other deff had some oil residue.

A buddy of mine had his block machined, brought it home and assembled the motor, put it in the car and it smoke terribly from the first crank. He decided to pull the motor and found oil in the x pipe.

Turned out the machine shop left an oil galley plug out of the top, rear of the block. This let oil spray directly into the pcv and right through the intake, into the cylinders. A .50 cent piece caused him alot of troubles.

If you can't find your answer, pull the upper intake before you pull the motor.

Joe

Reactions: 2 users
Ok so right now you guys recommend doing a leak down or compression check? See what that brings up and then from there pull intake? Like I say I ran it all last summer roughly 3000 miles with no issues. Ever since I started it this year it's been smoking. The only thing I changed was putting a new pcv valve in with screen over the winter because I noticed oil in intake last year. But it was not smoking.

A buddy of mine had his block machined, brought it home and assembled the motor, put it in the car and it smoke terribly from the first crank. He decided to pull the motor and found oil in the x pipe.

Turned out the machine shop left an oil galley plug out of the top, rear of the block. This let oil spray directly into the pcv and right through the intake, into the cylinders. A .50 cent piece caused him alot of troubles.

If you can't find your answer, pull the upper intake before you pull the motor.

Joe

I've heard of that one popping out and resulting in a massive oil pressure loss. Op, how's your oil pressure?

Edit: leakdown will tell you more than compression really.

Ok guys got around to doing a compression check today. It was a cold check. Also this is a pick of a plug witch all 8 have a similar appearance.
316ea263fbffd4d46117fb6dd0ed0b4d.jpg
18f003cff0ed3b6041409b17c5bdb196.jpg

50 cold and under throttle is good, but that just means your pump is working like its supposed to. I am wondering if your valves are letting oil into the cylinders.

Would a leak down tell me anything about the heads? I could also try a wet test? I just don't get how the blow by in the cylinder and the oil shooting out of the pcv valve into the upper intake relates?

I'm just wondering also what would cause all 8 plugs to look like that. I get the blow by but what's the chance all 8 piston rings would be bad after 3000 miles. Or even all the valves? Could it be the intake gasket? I've seen that can slip and cause oil issues? I just don't want to start tearing things apart blindly

Blow by from a bad piston ring will cause oil vapor to be sucked into the intake through the PCV system it'll fill the intake and all eight cylinders will suck that oil in.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Blow by from a bad piston ring will cause oil vapor to be sucked into the intake through the PCV system it'll fill the intake and all eight cylinders will suck that oil in.

Exactly. Blowby = excessive crankcase pressure which always results in waaay to much oil in the pcv. This is why boosted cars have to run catch cans.

Reactions: 2 users
I still have not come up with a solution. I'm doing some reading about people having major issues with the holly systemax 2intake with the same oil problems I'm having. I'm wondering if anyone has had an oil issue with this intake and whAt you did to fix it? With the oil separator installed I have 0 smoke. If I had bad rings wouldn't the car still be burning oil?

I still have not come up with a solution. I'm doing some reading about people having major issues with the holly systemax 2intake with the same oil problems I'm having. I'm wondering if anyone has had an oil issue with this intake and whAt you did to fix it? With the oil separator installed I have 0 smoke. If I had bad rings wouldn't the car still be burning oil?
How large is the oil baffle on the underside of the lower? Chinese cobra intakes had this exact issue.

20130719_191349_zps4ef5a94c.jpg

Google says this is your intake. If that is is correct. The micro sized baffle over the pcv is allowing oil to enter the pcv system. You're basically vacuuming all of the oil that's in they lifter valley.
cobrakit213.jpg

This is a knock off cobra with the same issue. The fix was to install a larger baffle shown on the left to keep the oil out of the pcv system.