Oil Life Monitoring System Question

Sep 26, 2015
Does anyone on this site change their oil using the oil life monitoring system? I've had my car for around 16 months and it has about 9500 miles on it. I changed the oil in May 2016 with around 5000 miles just out of concern. Thinking it over, I've relaxed some based on the dealership using synthetic oil at the change. I've seen ads claiming the synthetic oils will last a lot longer than 5000 miles. It's hard to change 50+ years of experience!

• Sponsors (?)

I change it via the oil meter. Usually around 5% or so. My big question is, is the math it does based on conventional or synthetic motor oil?

My local dealer says they use a mixture of synthetic and conventional when they do the changes. I got my first one done around 3k miles by my dealer. I have done two oil changes myself since then, using mobil 1 synthetic. I'm getting a little over 9k miles between changes.

Not a stang, but my '14 Taurus. I go my the oil life indicator. I believe the factory fill is a synthetic blend. I've been using Mobil 1 full syn. Next til I do a change, I'm going to send it in for an oil analysis at blclstone labs as I'm sure I can go longer that what the life indicator says

I'm about to roll over 10,000 miles and the monitoring system shows 35%. I believe there is a 10,000 mile check due so I think I'll just change the oil. I think the service schedule stretches out after this service so I will probably go to the system monitor from there on out.