Oil Pump Shaft Issue

JarheadMP

Apr 23, 2015
wichita
Ok, I've searched this topic and now I'm bringing it to you all.

I had a distributor issue that caused me to need to replace it. Keeping with the idea of if it breaks, build it faster, I ordered a new MSD to replace the stock distributor. Problem happened when I pulled to old one out, the pump shaft was stuck in the distributor. A local garage told me to pack the shaft where to rod goes in with grease to hold the shaft in place but make sure it wouldn't call out when upright, then stab it in.

I did that and thought things went well. I started the engine and everything looked good for about 30 seconds. That's when I lost oil pressure and shut it off. I pulled the distributor and the rod came out with it again, only to drop a bit later. I was lucky enough to retrieve it with a magnet and thanked the Ford gods profusely.

So far I've attempted a vacuum hose over the end of the rod to drop it in and a straight wire to hold it down while pulling the hose off, but have still missed the mark getting it in the pump.

Any ideas on how to successfully accomplish this install without yanking the motor?

• Sponsors (?)

Actually there is supposed to be a spring clip washer on the oil pump shaft that butts up against the top of the crankcase. It's purpose is to keep the oil pump shaft from coming out when you remove the distributor.
images

Otherwise...
That is what chewing gum is for...

Clean the shaft end where it sticks in the distributor, and clean the socket with some acetone or brake parts cleaner. Chew up some gum and stick it in the socket on the bottom of the distributor shaft. Stick the oil pump shaft in the gummed socket. Give it several healthy shakes; it should not come out. Install the distributor, you may have to turn the rotor to get the shaft to fit into the oil pump.

If you don't want to gum up the works, a 12" long piece of 1/4" thin wall vacuum tubing will slide over the shaft and hold onto it. A long, thin rod inserted into the tubing will enable you to remove the tubing once the pump shaft is in place. Push on the rod and pull on the tubing. Again, you may have to turn the tubing to get the shaft to mate up with the socket in the oil pump.

Reactions: 1 user
Some one has had that motor out before and the pump out and was lazy. To fix it right you would have to pull motor or get it high enough to drop the pan . JRs methods will work . Just be mindful that if you pull the dist up it will pull the shaft with it even to turn the rotor. I had a motor like this . The rod dropped i didnt no . I lost oil pressure like you shut it down. The rod broke hitting the crank. I pulled the pan and fixed it right. A week later it broke the crank... That msd dist you bought you will prob find is gonna be hit or miss too most guys stick with the stock stuff its more reliable

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user