Oil Weight?!

DomMc

Oct 17, 2015
Frisco, Tx
I would have thought this would have been the most simple of all things to find on the internet, but no joy.
Seems like lots of opinion on which oil to use, sometimes based on the location (climate) of the car.

Can anyone help with my options for oil for the 2.8l?
10w30/10w40?

• Sponsors (?)

15w40 Rotella non-synthetic for diesel engines is probably best. It still has enough ZDDP (zinc) for your flat-tappet cam and is close enough to the recommended 20w40 or 10w40 from the factory to put the right film of oil on all of the parts and maintain the correct pressure.

Thanks!! - that's great to know.
Hoping to test drive the mustang this weekend.
I think I've fixed the timing cover leak. Just need to fit the temp guage, pressure switch and put some oil in.... and it's go!!!

My v6 did well with 10w40, I'm now running 0w40 (Mobil 1 synthetic) and it likes that too (with some Zinc added for extra measure). That should be better when the weather gets cold - 15w40 might be a little thick if you're running in the wintertime (but you're in Tx and I'm in Ohio so 15w40 should be great for you).

I recently installed a high volume pump to make sure the passenger side of the engine was getting enough oil to the rockers (it wasn't, partially design flaw and partially old engine). Thicker oil can help with that if you don't run a high volume pump. Whatever you choose, after driving for a while it doesn't hurt to take a look under the passenger valve cover to see how things are getting oiled. (Since you'll now be in the business of valve adjustments getting some rubber valve cover gaskets is a good idea.) If it's pretty dry up there consider a heavier oil or a heavier pump.

I usually run Pennzoil 10w40. Of course I live in Chicago so the winters here are brutally cold!! 15w40 should be fine, however if you chose to run Pennzoil, Valvoline, Mobil 1, etc, make sure you use a ZDDP additive for that flat tappet cam!!! If you chose to use Rotella, you do not need an additive since it already has ZDDP in there for Diesel engines.