Ok To Use Two Fuel Pumps In Series?

Rangerang

Jan 31, 2013
I have a 5.0 HO in a Ranger pickup. The engine has been hard to start which I determined was due to low fuel pressure. I jumpered the EEC-IV test connector to run the fuel pump constantly when the key is in "run" and that helped, I let the pump run about 3 seconds before starting and it works. I put in a new filter with no change. The in-tank 88 lph pump is fairly new and I use 93 octane non-ethanol gas so I'm puzzled that it's taking so long to build up pressure. I put in a fuel pressure gauge that shows good pressure when running, 38 psi at idle and about 45 psi at full throttle. So the in-tank pump works well except when starting. On a whim, I bought a 255 lph Walbro pump that I'd like to plumb after the in-tank pump and run both in series. Does anyone see a problem with running both pumps in series a) if they're both good or b) if the in-tank pump is failing, dies?
I considered that the filter sock on the in-tank pump may be clogged but it supplies good pressure at WOT and I thoroughly rinsed the tank when I replaced it. Ethanol gas had reduced the original pump to a lump of rust after sitting for six months. Also, fuel from the pump, before the filter, is pristine.
Please, please, don't suggest it's a regulator issue. I can barely fit a finger between the engine and the firewall, so accessing the regulator under the upper intake is a very major issue.

Another question, the Walbro pump draws 20 amps. I'm planning on using #14 stranded wire, sound good?
I have #14 on hand but can buy #12.

• Sponsors (?)

replace the 88 with the 255 and stop over thinking things
I would, but I'm lazy. Removing the 88 requires taking the bed off the truck. And then I'm stuck with wondering what to replace it with. The 88 has a fairly custom twist cap that I'm not sure what to do about. Also, the 88 has the fuel level sender that I'd like to keep.

Well, thanks for all the good advice but my original questions are unanswered. What would happen?
I'll assume no one knows.
Thanks.
Oh no... we know what happens. We're just hoping you'll wise up and take the advise given to you by guys who have been doing this for multiple decades.

Ford used two pumps in sequence on the 80s Rangers and F-series. The one in the tank was high volume low pressure, and the one on the fuel rail was high pressure. What happened was, one pump would usually start to fail and take the other out due to the restriction it would cause. It was an overly complicated, un-necessary, and ultimately less-reliable system than a single-pump in the tank. That bull:poo: died with the last of the dual-tank trucks that were the last to use it. (And they were worse, three pumps, a selector valve, and a switch that all liked to fail.)

Thanks. I'll see if I can gut the in-tank pump to save the fuel level sender. Also, the filter sock would still help.
I do have an '88 Ranger with the two-pump setup and have replaced both pumps a few years apart. But the truck has over 150k miles on it.

Impressive; Walbro is a great brand.
On my pumps, it occurred to me that I'd have a high-volume pump (255) sucking through a low-volume pump (88).
That's just a bad idea. So, never mind.