Operation: Buzzbait

Rowdy J

Dec 29, 2009
so, i was lookin on youtube and i see this nova. i like all vehicles so i watched. the title was 12,000 RPM nova.
this thing launched and tached 12 grand on every run. it was like a 273 or some chevy destroker.

i thought about building something like that for a fox body or pinto.

heres the thought..
289 crank, custom rod, 347 pistons.

doing the math i would have a 2.875 crank with a 1.090 piston deck height. reason for smaller pistons is to get the rod ration up as high as possible and reduce weight on the piston/wrist pin.
if i did the match correct, i would need to extend the factory 5.155" rod to a custom 5.67" rod, which will take me from a 1.79:1 rod ratio on the 289 to a 1.97:1.
i have a 5.0 roller block and will girdle the bottom, so strength isnt a problem there. i wanna use some australian 302C heads ported by powerheads and make a mock 302 boss (in 289).

289 crank, solid roller cam, 2:1 rod ratio, roller rockers, smaller rings, all light weight or ultra light weight... all of these things lead to less drag on the engine and tighter raps. it should tach to hell and back.

now, my question is:
do you think the difference in rod ratio between a 1.79:1 and a 1.97:1 will be noticeable? thats a 10% increase in rod ratio. i have read tons of posts where guys promote longer rod lengths for less drag on blocks especially at higher rpms. i wanna turn 8500-9 grand or so. i want all factory parts on the outside, but i dont wanna bust the stock block. (wolf in sheeps clothing).

i think a roller 289 would be nasty by itself, but add a REALLY long rod...??? hmmm.

• Sponsors (?)

what a coicidence, i just found a guy selling 2 pairs of cleveland 4bbl heads. they already have the 2.19's, and closed chambers. ill just have to harden the seats and plug up some of the intake ports (metal inserts/epoxy)..maybe some high exhaust. leave the line at 7 grand.. =)
maybe a 3 deuce intake..couple small 4's.

or i might stick a set on a 400 ford. anyway, back to the question..
rod ratio.