Opinion On 2000-2004 Vs 2005-2009

• Sponsors (?)

I bought my 06 GT 5 speed stick new. It has 214,000 miles and has been rock solid. Brake pads last long. Did tie rod ends at about 200,000. Just changed the alternator. Nothing else besides scheduled maintenance, batteries and brakes. Still original clutch, water pump, fuel pump and so on. I have an 88 LX 5.0 with 357,000 miles, it needed much more in the same timeframe. The New Edge (00 to 04) would probably be better than the older Fox, but the S197 is a pretty solid platform. My 88 was more fun, just because I modified everything on it. In stock form, i would say the S197 is better. Any of them are fun with mods. Stronger transmission and chassis in the S197 though.

S197 all the way.
Retro styling, stiffer chassis, better suspension, better brakes, better steering, better interior, better engine, better tranny, and a hydraulic clutch system that does away with the archaic, trouble-prone cable.
The only real weaknesses are the two-piece spark plugs (up to 11/08), alternator, and heavy two-piece driveshaft but these can be easily upgraded.

Reactions: 1 user