OT: Office Depot is currently accepting old computer equipment for recycle FREE!!!

DarkBuddha

Founding Member
Dec 11, 2001
Seattle & Tampa
I just thought some folks might like to know... Office Depot is accepting old computers, printers, scanners, monitors, televisions, anything with computer electronics in it, FOR FREE through Labor Day! If you've ever recycled this stuff before, you know most places charge to take the gear. It can get pricey when they're charging $15 per computer, $10 per printer, $20 per monitor, etc.

If you're not aware, computer gear is full of very toxic stuff, and SHOULD NEVER JUST BE THROWN OUT IN THE TRASH!!! There is a ton of stuff about how terrible this stuff is once it's in landfills. Mercury, heavy metals, lead, etc. :notnice: Our consumer society is going through so much technology so quickly, it's become a severe problem. Millions of computers, millions of cell phones, millions of printers, millions of scanners, millions of monitors, all become obsolete and are trashed every year. :nonono:

So, if you've got old computer gear, cards, harddrives, monitors, televisions, cell phones, etc., go recycle them for free now. I took in my very first computer and printer today and they took it for FREE! :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

DarkBuddha said:
If you're not aware, computer gear is full of very toxic stuff, and SHOULD NEVER JUST BE THROWN OUT IN THE TRASH!!! There is a ton of stuff about how terrible this stuff is once it's in landfills. Mercury, heavy metals, lead, etc.

same stuff that is in cigarettes. its not anymore toxic than anything you throw in the landfills.

I'm too cheap. I have all the original guts of my old computers, but threw the cases away. Someday they might be worth a fortune for my son when he goes on Antique Road Show! On the enviromental thing, it was once thought that newspapers would break down in the landfills and be good mulch.......well awhile back, some people went to a landfill and dug up old newspapers many many years old, and you could still read the print! The planet is doomed, there are just too many people producing pollution of all kinds.

65fastback2+2 said:
same stuff that is in cigarettes. its not anymore toxic than anything you throw in the landfills.
So I guess that makes it ok to throw everything in landfills??? :notnice: As far as I'm concerned, if it can be recycled, it should be. Why toss stuff that could be reused or dealt with so as to have less negative enviromental impact? Sadly, less bad is sometimes as good as it gets. :rolleyes:

P.S. BTW, cigarettes are evil, so that is probably a bad example. :owned: :D