Over Heating because of air

Michael87

Jun 3, 2008
Canada
Hey,

I have a 1994 Mustang Gt 5.0. Does anyone know how to bleed the air out of the cooling system. I have air in the system and if i do not have the heater on in the car it will overheat. Thank you:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

The cooling system should be able to "burp" itself but if yours doesn't, try running the engine next time till it's fully warmed up and then park it for a few hours facing uphill. Any remaining air inside the engine should come out through the upper radiator hose.

Park aimed uphill. With a cool engine open the radiator cap then begin squeezing the upper radiator hose. You can get rid of most of the air this way, at least until the point it will burp itself.

Are you sure you Tstat is not the problem?

Cooling Problems - Stock 95 GT

Hey,

I have a 1994 Mustang Gt 5.0. Does anyone know how to bleed the air out of the cooling system. I have air in the system and if i do not have the heater on in the car it will overheat. Thank you:SNSign:

Was going to be my topic as well. Have replaced the thermostat and bypass hose and the temp still wants to creep up and then drop like a rock before coming back to midpoint. The fan works when it reaches op temp and both upper and lower hoses get nice n warm when brought to op temp. Drained coolant looks nice n green without any rust or particles in it so I'm not thinking water pump or clog issue (yet). If it is air is there a DIY way that does not result in parking it "uphill"? I live in a pretty flat town and don't feel like driving 50 miles to the nearest anthill. :SNSign:

Was going to be my topic as well. Have replaced the thermostat and bypass hose and the temp still wants to creep up and then drop like a rock before coming back to midpoint. The fan works when it reaches op temp and both upper and lower hoses get nice n warm when brought to op temp. Drained coolant looks nice n green without any rust or particles in it so I'm not thinking water pump or clog issue (yet). If it is air is there a DIY way that does not result in parking it "uphill"? I live in a pretty flat town and don't feel like driving 50 miles to the nearest anthill. :SNSign:

could always jack up the front end../??:shrug:

Honestly for this i put the car in my driveway which is fairly flat (car will BARELY roll if in Neutral) and then pump the air out with my hand, fill the overflow and take it for a drive... nice and easy... usually it will build up really hot once then cool and after 1-2 of these cycles it is fine...

all good info. also run it with the cap off. and when the stat opens the air will push it's way out. you may lose some coolant when this happens but don't panic. when the level drops back down put some more coolant back in and keep watching. the t-stat only reads water temp and not air so when the air goes past it, it will close and the level in the rad will go back down again. you may have to top off the rad this way 3-4 times. then put the cap on and take for a drive let the motor cool and ck the rad again, and top off if necessary. don't leave the antifreeze where any pet can come into contact with it.