Owning A 64-66 Mustang

ASF88

Aug 31, 2015
Hey, what's up guys!!

I have been dreaming of owning a Classic Mustang, but i am concerned is it going to be difficult to take care of a Mustang.
And here is my situation:

i have a budget of $12,500 to $13,000 for the car itself. And a monthly budget of $400 to $600 to spend on the car for Accessories, or fixing mechanical, electrical issues.

I don't have a garage for now, but i may move to a place with a garage.
I have a fair experience to let me start working on a car, mechanically and electrically fixing or accessorizing i mean, but i haven't worked on a car for long time to be called an expert.

I am thinking about getting a V8, auto Mustang, all original if possible.
And how about the insurance prices range? Depending on what?

And excuse me i am not used to use forums and posting thread that much, so i hope i am in the right place.

If there are any good links to help in this forums, or cars adds 64-66, that would be appreciated.

Thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

vintage cars are generally easier to maintain than modern cars, because everything is much simpler and easier to get to. $400 a month for maintenance is a great budget, i wish i had that. insurance as always depends on a variety of things, including your area, your driving record, what level of insurance coverage you are going to want, etc.

as for the car itself, i wouldnt worry about originality at this point, since this is probably your first classic car. i would instead concentrate on the condition of the car. the better the condition, the better for you in the long run.

this also depends on what you are wanting from the car. is this going to be a daily driver? a weekend driver? a back up to your daily driver? a weekend warrior? lawn art?

Thanks rbohm for replying.

I am thinking about making it my daily drive.
And i will be living in California. I don't have ideas about how insurance companies calculate their prices, but after reading and asking i heard it is not going to be so expensive. What level of insurance do you mean? Like full coverage and that type of info, right?
And if its a full coverage in a low price that would be cool.

first you need a coverage level on liability insurance that covers some of the higher end cars in your area, a good level would be 100k/300k coverage. that should handle most possible situations you might find yourself in. for comp and collision coverage, you should go with agreed value coverage, that way if there are any losses on your part, you get a check from the insurance company to cover the replacement of the car. you should update that coverage each year though. talk to your insurance agent for best information.

back to the car, since you are planning to make the car a daily driver, you will probably want to make some updates like power steering and power disc brakes.