P To 4.6 4v

Tye Law

Sep 7, 2015
I am beginning to remove my 4.6 2v and I have some questions. I have read that I need to change the oil pan and other small items but is that correct? I was also wondering what all do I have to do to this engine to make 650 hp or so? This engine that I am working with is a 97 lincoln mark viii engine with a about 150000 or so. It runs strong but I'm new to the mustang and I'm somewhat confused with all of these different post about what and what not to do. Please help me to understand before I spend more money than I have to for no real reason. Thanks and I welcome all responses. Please be respectful with the responses. Thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

The Mark VIII block is a good block to start with. If you are going FI the B heads are supposed to be good for boost. If going N/A the 03/04 cobra heads are probably the best bet. C heads are good for N/A as well.

From what I have read it is supposed to be something about the short turn radius in the intake throat area on the 03/04 cobra heads and probably some to do with the exhaust port.

Thanks for that info. Yes I do plan on spending 15000 or so. But can anyone tell me what do I have to change on the motor to make it work? Like oil pan,intake,oil filter adapter things like that. These are the questions that I really need answers for. The amount of money that I plan to spend is not a matter to me bc I know it will be up there somewhat.

Have the block fully machined and rebuilt with a forged rotating assembly the best gaskets, seals and bearings available. Any additional engine reinforcements available (main girdle and ARP bolts on everything you can get them for). Port the heads, blower cams. A very strong supercharger or turbo setup, no entry level here. Going to have to overhaul the fuel system with new rails, pump, injectors and probably new fuel lines. Full exhaust. Then you may want to strongly weigh the option of an aftermarket engine management system so you can really dial it in, complete with a quality MAF.

Then go ahead and get yourself a stout transmission that can hold that kind of power. Rebuild the rear end of the car, maybe upgrade the differential, forged axles and exterior axle bracing.

Better build up that suspension and reinforce the chassis or you will twist up the body something fierce.

I could waste days thinking of cool stuff to buy for dream builds. Just be aware of the monster you create. Lastly, don't even think about getting your money back out of it once its done.

Reactions: 1 user
I do believe the the motor that I have to put in my gt is a cobra motor. According to the cast numbers on the head but I have to call a shop to make sure, but from what I can tell from the Internet I have a 97 cobra motor

Honestly.....with what's available today, I wouldn't even waste my time with an early modular engine. Their rotating assemblies suck and the heads and intake are far too restrictive. For what you'd spend on making 650-reliable horsepower with one, you could perform a Coyote Swap with a blower for about he same price and truly have a unique car. One that runs smooth as a swiss watch and still knocks out excellent fuel mileage and emmisions to boot.

Reactions: 1 user
And I gotta ask....why 650hp? Does it just sound cool saying it out loud, or have you got a particular goal in mind? I know it sounds harsh, but honestly, if you've got to ask what it takes to get there, you probably aren't ready to make the attempt.

Yes I do have a particular goal in mind. As for your comment as to what it takes. It was a question just to see what people had to say. My motor is on the way to the machine shop and by the way 650 is the bottom number. So to say I not ready to be there that's your opinion. You can't say what I am ready for bc you don't know me. THANKS HAVE A GREAT DAY......

I want to build a motor for my own experience. I priced a coyote motor and it will cost me 8000 to 9000 for a 400 hp motor. When I can build one with more hp for the same price. I've done my homework and ready to build so that I can tear up the streets next summer. I do hope to see some of you guys out there.

We are not trying to offend you or say that you can't do it. We are simply trying to help you in what we see as the right direction, many of us have been down the road you are starting on right now. Should you desire advice on what is needed to achieve those power levels we are here for that too. Just understand that your goal is lofty not unattainable....

I wish you the best of luck in your build and you should post some updates along the way so we can watch the progress:nice:

The new 5.0 is a great motor we are talking about finding one in a junk yard and rebuilding it, same as doing the 4.6 but it's just a better starting platform.... but what do I know mine still has pushrods!:p