Fuel P0191, P0171 & Found Rusty Fuel - Support Needed

Henning

Aug 15, 2016
Hello all,

I am new to this forum but I bought my 2005 Mustang GT already 1 year ago with 39k miles. I recently had an issue where the car would not accelerate on the highway so I had to stop on the shoulder. There I noticed that the engine had a shaky idle and the Check engine light came on.
After shutting off and waiting a few minutes everything was fine for another few miles until the same thing happened...

The failures codes I read were:
P0171: Bank1 system too lean
P0191: Fuel rail pressure, sensor A circuit Range/performance

I was hoping it would only be a clogged fuel filter but upon replacing that I found the fluid that poured out of the IN-side of the filter was very rusty.
I dont want to give it to the shop and have them replace the fuel pump.
Anyone has an idea what is going on here? Should I just start with a tank cleaning?

THanks for your support, if it will work I could also upload a Video of me pouring the fuel from the filter....

• Sponsors (?)

Attached a picture of the rusty fuel:

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 213
Ok, Took out the fuel pump to check the inside of the tank. the tank is a bit corroded and the filter Mat of the pump was partly clogged by corrosion particles....
Has anyone ever seen something similar?
New tank , new pump or what should I do?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    249.9 KB · Views: 252
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    349.7 KB · Views: 224
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    388.3 KB · Views: 215
Found similar condition on a customer GrandNational the we opted to replace the tank it was inexpensive enough. I'm not sure what a tank costs to replace for an S197 but they can be sent out to be cleaned hopefully it will solve that concern. BTW I would also change gas stations