P0340 Cms

BlackHawk32

Jan 12, 2017
I just bought a 2000 Mustang gt and the battery light came on along with a code P0340. New alternator fixed the battery light and I replaced the Camshaft Position Sensor but still have the P0340. Any suggestions?

• Sponsors (?)

Yes. Check the wires to/from the CKP sensor. Check the connector for bent/pushed/dirty pins.

Also if the incorrect CMP sensor has been installed (2 wire vs 3 wire) or the CMP sensor not correctly set up could cause this problem.

The clue to understanding this is in the DTC. Whenever the word "Malfunction" is used that means that someone is so wrong with the circuit that the PCM is unable to tell what wrong. Best to think in "basic" electronic terms.

>>From Ford manual
P0340 - Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Circuit Malfunction

The test fails when the PCM can no longer detect the signal from the CMP sensor.

• CMP circuit open
  • CMP circuit short to GND
  • CMP circuit short to PWR
  • SIG RTN open (VR sensor)
  • CMP GND open (Hall effect sensor)
  • CMP misinstalled (Hall effect sensor)
  • Damaged CMP sensor shielding
  • Damaged CMP sensor
  • Damaged PCM

All of the wires look good so I am still having trouble narrowing down how to get this code to go away. Measuring the volts coming out of the cam sensor (two wire) with a multimeter it reads .1-.2 when idling both when measuring from the sensor directly and also when splicing into the wireing harness. The other thing is when testing the battery it always says good but needs charge. Could this throw a p0340? Any other possibilities?