P1445 purge flow sensor circuit high input

Joesstang

Mar 16, 2007
I recently purchased a 1996 Mustang with a V6. The check engine light came on the other day. I took it to Autozone and had the code read. They were unable to tell me anything about it. Does anyone know what this code means and what needs to be checked/done to fix it? :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

It's part of the Evaporative Emissions System.That is,pertaining to the charcoal canister,purge control valve,control solenoid and associated vacuum lines/connecting hoses.It's possible either the control valve or the canister is at fault.1996 3.8's are notorious for having issues with the Evap system.It is either one of the sensors has malfunctioned or the canister is releasing too much fuel vapor.

If you are still checking up on this post,reply to this message.BTW....are you technically/mechanically inclined by chance?

Thanks for the reply. I would not consider myself an expert. i am not afraid to work on anything. I have replaced O2 sensors in the past. If you have any other ideas I am willing to give them a shot.

Pick up a Haynes manual (not Chiltons) at the auto parts store.They help quite a bit.Second,you need a multimeter.But before you grab any of this and start messing around,how does the engine run? When cold,warmed up,mainly at idle speeds? Verifying which part in the evap system is faulty can require expensive special equipment sometimes depending on what is faulty.If the canister is faulty,by knowledge I don't know how one would go and test it without using a scanner that measures fuel vapor/ambient gas mix and flow.You can however,rule out the control valve by running a voltage output test using a multimeter.An inexpensive yet accurate meter would do fine.

First pick up the Haynes manual.Even if you don't need it now,it'll be a huge help in the longrun.

Now if anyone else here knows anything about the Evap system,please do chime in your comments.I've had a P1443 code ever since I bought the car 7 years ago.I ignore it though since it doesn't make the car run any worse.It's most likely the valve in my case since the solenoid works fine.Things like this aren't urgent enough for me to go out and just replace the dumb thing.

THe engine seems to run fine at all temps and conditions. I have a multimeter and planning to pick up the hayes manual. The car is for my daughter and I would like to fix the condition so that if something else happens she will know to shut it down to avoid any additional issues. Thanks again!

I just got the same code... However my car is NOT running properly, i also got a misfire 1-10 code with it as well..

I just bought a new coil, since i was told that it caused the misfire which caused the 1445 code to show up.

If you know of any reasons the car would be idling a bit off as well as tends to shut down after driving for a length of time (30 mins or more) and then not starting up again till cooled off. I would LOVE some ideas..

I do intend to replace the purge flow and air flow sensors both regardless now since they aren't expensive. However if someone could point me in a direction if they feel that won't solve the issue that would be great.

Thank you

I'm having a hard time finding the purge flow sensor. Autozon keeps telling me I need part a but I thought the purge flow sensor looked different. Can someone post a pic?p