Paint And Body Or Engine Work First?

So after 20 years of owning a 1965 Mustang, it has come time for some serious work. When I got the car at 15, it was in decent shape. Now we're in the process of replacing the old straight 6 with a 289, which requires a lot more modifications than just a simple engine replacement. My brother who is a mechanic began the engine work for me years ago, but never finished so I've taken the car back and now my husband and I plan to complete the project. The car's in need of some serious paint and body work. It's got some rust issues and needs to be stripped and painted. So there's a lot to do. The current debate, is whether we should do the paint and body work first or the engine work. If we do the paint and body work first, we can pull the engine that isn't completely hooked up yet and take of the engine compartment pretty easy. On the other hand, there's thoughts of damaging a new paint job while doing the engine work. Opinions on pros/cons of either option?

• Sponsors (?)

Paint and body first ,drop the motor in after . I always do motors last .Use moving blankets when you set the motor in to protect the paint . Instead of pulling a motor and replacing it after it is painted you only have to set it in place so a lot less chance of damaging the new paint .