Painting Dashboard--How To--WARNING---Ton's Of Pic's.

i didn't paint the wheel,found it at the JY,only painted the airbag.didn't use the vinal prep,dash still looks great.

I know YOU didnt use it, but I thought I would get it since I was ordering the black anyway. Im sure it can only help maintain the look and quality and extend the life :shrug:
RC

• Sponsors (?)

from what I've seen most people suggest getting those pieces in black since they receive the most wear. You could always paint them too but I'm sure you'll be touching them up every once in awhile.

from what I've seen most people suggest getting those pieces in black since they receive the most wear. You could always paint them too but I'm sure you'll be touching them up every once in awhile.

I was considering yanking all these little pieces from a junk yard. Im sure for under $100 I can get ALL of them. I could still paint the black ones so they look new, and if it gets a scratch you wont really notice.

That's probable the route I will be going.

Thanks
RC

I would be very cautious about using brake cleaner. The texture of the dash can be easily melted into a smooth finish if you do not watch it. Good high percentage alcohol from the pharmacy is a safer choice for rookies. SEM that makes the paint gives specific instructions. SEM sells a cleaner and an adhesion promoter that works specifically for their products as well. Remember that the dash is vinyl not plastic. The SEM plastic prep contains xylene which would harm the dash. The SEM vinyl prep is ether based. It is more forgiving. While you did a GREAT job, and it looks wonderful, I can just see someone ruining a dash by smearing the wrong material on the vinyl and wondering why their fingerprints and pieces of the paper towel are stuck in the dash all of the sudden. Good job though!

I would be very cautious about using brake cleaner. The texture of the dash can be easily melted into a smooth finish if you do not watch it. Good high percentage alcohol from the pharmacy is a safer choice for rookies. SEM that makes the paint gives specific instructions. SEM sells a cleaner and an adhesion promoter that works specifically for their products as well. Remember that the dash is vinyl not plastic. The SEM plastic prep contains xylene which would harm the dash. The SEM vinyl prep is ether based. It is more forgiving. While you did a GREAT job, and it looks wonderful, I can just see someone ruining a dash by smearing the wrong material on the vinyl and wondering why their fingerprints and pieces of the paper towel are stuck in the dash all of the sudden. Good job though!

Basically you could use any degreaser type cleaner to "clean" the surface, so long as the residue from that product is removed with the alcohol, etc.

I used the SEM can of vinyl prep spray that you spray and wipe per instructions, THEN the Bulldog adhesive then 2-3 coats of SEM. I used it for the Airbag. When I did the kick panels, I used the Vinul prep but NOT the Bulldog, and I already have a couple of spots where the tan is showing through from scratching or chipping.

I got the wheel in my house now with the airbag set in it, and it looks really nice, and I think by the time I change the carpet, paint the inside, and add the wheel, the car should almost smell new again!

Thanks
RC

I did mine a while back. But I used some dash paint from 50 resto. It came in a vinyl for soft surfaces and a lacquer for hard surfaces. The vinyl matched PERFECTLY. The sheen and everything was right (I work at Sherwin-Williams and have to match pait all day, so I know a perfect match when I see it). But teh lacquer one DID NOT match. It had a blue tint with you can see under light. And it wears off easier than teh vinyl. If you go that route, use all vinyl.

And dont use brake cleaner, that **** will eat your dash up. Wipe it down with denatured alcohol on a lint free cloth before you paint.

just a little update.
dash still looks good,no scratches,chips,or flakes.
DSCN1577.jpg

DSCN1578.jpg

i picked up a center console from a 98.
grey with a cup holder in place of the ash tray.
dirty!
DSCN1544.jpg

disassembled and cleaned it up.
DSCN1547.jpg

taped off the rubber trim
DSCN1571.jpg

wiped down with a clean cloth and brake cleaner,than painted with the SEM Landau Black,both the console and cup holder.
DSCN1572.jpg

heres the two side by side.
also check out in the top cornor,i picked up some P heads the other day:D
DSCN1581.jpg

i used the harness that came with the console.
DSCN1585.jpg

i have a hidden power point under the shifter boot for my sat radio,so i modified the the connection alittle.
DSCN1584.jpg

also wired my foglights to operate independently of the headlights.
DSCN1586.jpg

heres before,
DSCN1579.jpg

DSCN1580.jpg

heres after,i reused my old lid,as the one that came with the console was broken.
DSCN1589.jpg

DSCN1590.jpg

Dude im literally buying one and doing the same thing an i had no idea how to take the center console out so thanks. little tip paint our door panels too my stang is yellow and i painted my panels to matc and it came out ok!

PLEASE HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

OK so i did everything in this post.... now after assembly everything bak. my car wont start
engine turns but car wont start. i plug the airbag wires back correctly...

ANY HELP ??? PLEASE

IF i leave the airbags disconnected will that keep the car from starting?

I did mine also, Converted the 2 tone to solid black. I bought an entire interior from a wrecked V6 car, I have the black dash too but the paint came out so well I just never installed it. I hve the black door pulls to install also and at some point upgraded seats. The donor interior was like new including carpet and door panels.

Attachments

• 95interior (4).JPG
    95interior (4).JPG
    633.9 KB · Views: 223
  • 95interior (8).JPG
    95interior (8).JPG
    466.5 KB · Views: 250
Reactions: 1 user