Passenger compartment fuse box

Art161

Sep 26, 2006
San Francisco
The people on this board seem to be very understanding about seemingly dumb questions, but I was still too embarrassed for many months to post this problem with my 2007. I couldn't figure out how to get to the passenger compartment fuses. I could remove the access panel, but could not figure out how to remove the black cover to the fuse box.

I went in for my 6 month oil change and asked the Ford service adviser how to remove the cover. He couldn't figure it out either! He said he would ask one of the techs. When I returned to pick up my car, the adviser said it's easy if you know how.

On the chance that there might be others out there who were also too embarrassed to ask, here's the scoop--There is one tang on the left side and one tang on the right side of the cover. You release one of the tangs, and the cover pops off.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks Art! This would have helped me 2 years ago when I had this same battle with the fuse cover while trying to install some fog lights. After a couple hours and a few quick jerks with the pliers I BROKE the blasted cover off. I would not want to be along side the road on a dark night with a flashlight in my teeth trying to battle the “black box” cover. No, Sir, nothing should be that difficult. I simply use the panel kick cover.

As for questions and feeling embarrassed. I am a woman, who loves Mustangs and Engineering. I am thrice chastised and scoffed at. My pop taught me years ago to never fear asking a question I do not know the answer to. To NEVER feel embarrassed when someone answers me in a derogatory or demeaning manner so long as in the end I get the information I did not have before. I do not condone people who behave this way towards others. I have learned to simply ignore their attitude as ignorance and lack of patience.

So ASK AWAY my fellow stang owner and never mind HOW you get your answer, so long as in the end you do!

After reading this I went out and removed mine as well, and even knowing this info ahead of time, I broke one of the tabs off the left side and ended up having to remove the trim in order to get the cover off, lol. Who the heck designs these things?

After reading this I went out and removed mine as well, and even knowing this info ahead of time, I broke one of the tabs off the left side and ended up having to remove the trim in order to get the cover off, lol. Who the heck designs these things?

:nonono: Uh huh. :nonono:

I had the entire door trim, kick cover and panel removed. I was head first - feet up and wrangled with that mo-fo until I came to the conclusion that nothing should hinder access to the fuse panel to that degree or be so difficult in design that I need a Masters in Engineering to remove it. :nice:

Focker is gone: sitting in the Kennedy rollaway it will remain. I am sure this is another "Normal Characteristic" of the S197 Mustang. :rlaugh:

Fusebox

Been there, done that, bought the tee shirt. I have been working on cars for 45 years, and I didn't think I'd ever get that damn lid off (I did). I had the same thought, "Boy, I'd LOVE to be trying to get this piece of crap off in the dark, on the side of the road-maybe in the rain or snow"). Since Ford is getting rid of people, I hope the mental midget that came up with this design led the first group out!

Since Ford is getting rid of people, I hope the mental midget that came up with this design led the first group out!

I agree with that statement, I like Jenn was upside down too once and finally took the whole panel off to get to it one day. My thing is, Why would they even make two different fuse panels anyway? attention everyone wouldnt it be cheaper to produce a vehicle with ONE fricken fuse panel! :shrug:

I've been fighting with this same thing, and, while it's not dark, it IS 112 degrees out there! Two things; assuming the tabs pull out (I can't really get a good look at the beast, since I had a pacemaker put in a couple of weeks ago and don't relish the thought of hanging upside down and pulling the leads out of my heart), I'll give it a shot, but (2) if I can't get the tabs undone, I think I'll go for the satisfaction of breaking them off!

Hey everyone. 07 with an impossible fuse box cover. I hope this helps. I just got thru after 3 years of not being able to open mine. And it was mainly thanks to this thread i figured it out. My description of the procedure to remove this little Bstrd.
***Ignore the pull tabs completely***
The tab itself is quite useless. But if you feel the tab you will find it to be larger then you think it is. It actuallly extends all the way to the top and to the bottom of the fuse box. If you feel the far side of the box where the tab is slide your thumb to the top back side of the box there youll should feel a ridge.. grab there( on top at part closest to outside of the car) and pull out the same direction as you tried to pull out the tab. It feels as though you are bending the plastic to deform it which you are slightly but with a little pressure it will come free. My phones camera is trashed but here is what it looks like.......
Yeah so scratch that. Between my crappy phone and the website i cant upload the photos to help. I hope my description is enough for you. Very sorry i couldnt do more.