Passenger power window does not work with passenger switch

This is my first time posting. I have searched this and other groups on the internet for an answer like I always do but this time no luck with my particular problem. I hope that someone can help or guide me in the right direction. The car is a 2000 GT

The problem is that the passenger power window will only work from the drivers side switch. I therefore assumed that the motor was fine and the passenger switch was gone. Put a meter on the switch and it is getting power, 11 volts. I therefore assumed that the problem lied within the wiring to the motor. I took the connection apart (The drivers side switch is run through the same connection) and tested for power and again I got 11 volts at the connection. Tested the same connection from the drivers side and again received 11 volts. I have ruled out the switch, motor and the wiring. I am at a loss as to what the problem is if it works fine from the drivers side which comes through the same wired connection. Any help would be appreciated. I have until spring to get this working an by the looks of the snow coming down now, spring appears to be a ways off yet. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Your car should be equipped with window/door (button) lock. Does the passenger door lock button work?
That was part two of my door overhaul. The lock was not working and I discovered that the problem is the actuator which I need to replace. Both the driver and passenger lock switch is trying to activate the actuator (makes sound and moves) but the actuator is not opening or closing the door lock, just making it move slightly. Part 3 of the overhaul will be the door speaker which is inoperable. Thanks

My 99 has this same issue. It's a convertibe so it has the window lock button (which I pressed several times). I have yet to trouble shoot the problem but I was thinking it would be in the window lock button or passenger window button. Hey Bob, does the passenger switch get the 11v on one side of the switch or do you see the 11v on the other side once the window switch is pressed? Just curious if the volts are at the switch but the switch is "no good" and not allowing the flow of current? If you don't have a "window lock" switch like my convertible I would have to think the problem is isolated to the passenger switch somehow. Good luck, please post what you find.

Problem solved and thanks for the replies. JhMustangGT03 got me thinking about the switch again and last night I did more switching around (LOL) of the switches. When I originally did the check, I took the working driver side switched and installed it in the passenger side and it did not work, do I assumed that the switch was not the problem. What I failed to do was put the passenger switch in the drivers door. When I did that, the passenger side worked and the driver side didn't. Therefore, it was the switch all along, but all 3 switches had to be in place to maintain current flow (JhMustangGT03). Definitley the switch, but I am still confused as to why there is power to the motor when the broken switch is pressed. The only thing that I can can come up with is that when pressed, the power flows, but there is some kind of relay in the switch that shuts down when there is resistance from the window motor.

Thanks again for the help and feeling welcomed. I am sure that I will be back to post again.

Bob

Reactions: 1 user
Problem solved and thanks for the replies. JhMustangGT03 got me thinking about the switch again and last night I did more switching around (LOL) of the switches. When I originally did the check, I took the working driver side switched and installed it in the passenger side and it did not work, do I assumed that the switch was not the problem. What I failed to do was put the passenger switch in the drivers door. When I did that, the passenger side worked and the driver side didn't. Therefore, it was the switch all along, but all 3 switches had to be in place to maintain current flow (JhMustangGT03). Definitley the switch, but I am still confused as to why there is power to the motor when the broken switch is pressed. The only thing that I can can come up with is that when pressed, the power flows, but there is some kind of relay in the switch that shuts down when there is resistance from the window motor.

Thanks again for the help and feeling welcomed. I am sure that I will be back to post again.

Bob

The switch provides ground not power source.

Having a similar problem: Passenger side only rolls down. works fine both ways from the drivers side. So I bought 2 new switches. The passenger side would function correctly a few times then stop. It still worked on the Driverside.If I press the driverside and the passenger side at the same time the passenger side will work again for awhile. Again it always works on the drivers side. Is there a relay somewhere in the circuitry?[/QUOTE]

There's an automatic reset circuit breaker that protects the entire window circuit as well as CB's inside each window motor. IMO it's far more likely that the interment window operation is the results of motor overload that is tripping the CB. The motor cools and the CB resets. Wash/rinse/repeat.

Suggest focusing on the motor and lift regulator itself. Either the motor is bad or there's something binding the window lift causing the motor to draw too much power.