Fox Phenolic spacer on Systemax intake. Are long tube headers worth it?

Hello, I have a ported Systemax 2 intake from Ed at Flow Tech ready to go on. Engine is a stock bottom end 1990, TW 170 heads, mild Crower cam with 1.7 rockers, powerdyne BD11A supercharger, 3.73 gears, T5. Current intake is Performer RPM 1 with 70mm BBK throttle body. When the Systemax goes on should I use a phenolic spacer? Should I change to a 75 or 80mm throttle body? Lastly is it worth changing from bbk shorty headers to bbk long tube headers? Thank you in advance

• Sponsors (?)

How much power/boost?
What is the rest of the exhaust system?
The spacer increases the runner length which will move torque down in the rpm range, maybe even increase torque slightly, but it will sacrifice higher rpm HP by a bit. WIth the S/C you may not notice either.

How much power/boost?
What is the rest of the exhaust system?
The spacer increases the runner length which will move torque down in the rpm range, maybe even increase torque slightly, but it will sacrifice higher rpm HP by a bit. WIth the S/C you may not notice either.
Boost is around 6-7. Rest of exhaust is 2.5 off road H pipe into Black Widow Venom 250 mufflers. Then 2.5 tailpipes to the bumper

That doesn't make any sense. Why are you putting a Systemax 2 intake much less a ported one on TF 170cc heads? Frist off I would ditch that intake and get like a Cobra intake or something. That thing is going to kill your intake velocity going into those little heads. Throttle body 65mm or bigger is fine. Always do the longtubes. Shorties suck the life out of these cars.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
Did you work with Ed when you chose the intake and having him port it or did you buy it from someone else? I agree that intake let alone ported is overkill for those heads. Send you Edlebrocks to TMoss and that will help more than anything. 75mm TB is plenty for your setup.

70 or a 75 is fine - the factory hole on the intake is a 75 .

I ran a stock systemax on a 170 TFS head with a blower for a long time and it the car ran great .

FWIW I made 728 to the tire with a 70mm tb . So 70 or 75 is more than enough on that bd11a .

Do you need the spacer ? No . But to clear the driver side VC a 3/8 - 1/2 spacer wouldn’t hurt . I’d go as thin as possible with a stock hood .

Headers - a set of BBK 1 3/4 LTs would do the trick .

Good morning, thank you for your advise. I bought the intake from Ed when I was planning on getting a 363. Then economy tanked and kids in private school. I cancelled the 363 I had on order. I would consider selling the intake.

Good morning, thank you for your advice. I bought the intake from Ed when I was planning on getting a 363. Then economy tanked and kids in private school. I cancelled the 363 I had on order. I would consider selling the intake.
Intake is fine forced induction

I never ran the BBK 1 3/4 but I have heard they fit better and are easier to install than the 1 5/8 headers I had on mine. Be prepared to fight them to get them installed but it's WAY easier if you have the heads off. If not, just skip the attempts to do it without disconnecting the motor mounts and jack the engine up, just jack it up a bit and get it over with and save the time.

That doesn't make any sense. Why are you putting a Systemax 2 intake much less a ported one on TF 170cc heads? Frist off I would ditch that intake and get like a Cobra intake or something. That thing is going to kill your intake velocity going into those little heads. Throttle body 65mm or bigger is fine. Always do the longtubes. Shorties suck the life out of these cars.

Kurt

Intake is fine forced induction

I would install it and run it while keeping a casual eye on the market for an intake that is better suited. On a turbo car, we wouldn't be having the exhaust discussion but the big intake would still be an issue IMO.

The LT exhaust in my [brain dyno] says that the LTs will be worth 20+ HP and 10+ ft/lbs. When you get around to addressing the intake, I think you will notice a significant improvement in the car's performance at all power settings except for maybe WOT. The lazy air will be most noticeable when the hammer isn't fully planted and the blower is doing nothing.

• Useful
I would install it and run it while keeping a casual eye on the market for an intake that is better suited. On a turbo car, we wouldn't be having the exhaust discussion but the big intake would still be an issue IMO.

The LT exhaust in my [brain dyno] says that the LTs will be worth 20+ HP and 10+ ft/lbs. When you get around to addressing the intake, I think you will notice a significant improvement in the car's performance at all power settings except for maybe WOT. The lazy air will be most noticeable when the hammer isn't fully planted and the blower is doing nothing.
My combo drove totally fine with an a trim and that intake not ported with 170 heads and a 70 mm tb
The intake ports are the same as a gt40 port size untouched on the lower . His is ported but I doubt it’s crazy . They are not lazy one bit . With a blower he’ll have zero issue and to sell for a smaller intake isn’t wise in my
Opinion . If ed did the cam . It is spec in mind for all of this . If he thought intake was an issue he would’ve told him it’s an mis match

Once I ported to the 90 yes I noticed a slight and I mean slight difference just off tip in . Otherwise car drives the same

My combo drove totally fine with an a trim and that intake not ported with 170 heads and a 70 mm tb
The intake ports are the same as a gt40 port size untouched on the lower . His is ported but I doubt it’s crazy . They are not lazy one bit . With a blower he’ll have zero issue and to sell for a smaller intake isn’t wise in my
Opinion . If ed did the cam . It is spec in mind for all of this . If he thought intake was an issue he would’ve told him it’s an mis match

Once I ported to the 90 yes I noticed a slight and I mean slight difference just off tip in . Otherwise car drives the same

...and my contention is that with another intake, it would be [better]. :p