Pilot Bearing, Seal Retainer, And Oil Slinger Questions

justadodgeman

Jan 26, 2014
1. my brand new pilot bearing sticks out of the crank about an 1/8" is that normal for replacement pilot bearings?
2. can I get the rear seal out without taking off the retainer plate and do I have to use the oil slinger cause I kinda f'd the old one up and part stores don't carry it and I wanna get it done?

• Sponsors (?)

1. my brand new pilot bearing sticks out of the crank about an 1/8" is that normal for replacement pilot bearings?
2. can I get the rear seal out without taking off the retainer plate and do I have to use the oil slinger cause I kinda f'd the old one up and part stores don't carry it and I wanna get it done?

justadodgeman,
The pilot bearing shouldn't stick out of the end of the crank. This could cause stress on the input shaft of the transmission and lead to premature failures there. The bearing should sit flush with the end of the crank.

You can get the oil slinger from Ford for about 12 bucks. Ford engineers deemed it worthwhile to put it in there, so I figure they prolly know best. There are members on other forums that say you can replace everything without removing the rear cover, however the shop manual indicates it should be removed and I concur. With the cover out, you can ensure that the seal is seated properly in the cover before re-installing it on the car. Why not spend the extra 30 minutes to get the cover off and do it right as opposed to trying to do it in the car and discover an oil leak shortly after you have everything back together. It would be a major pain to have to pull the transmission again.

Best of Luck!