Plasti Dip

• Thread starter Deleted member 38176
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 38176

I was looking to hear from anyone who had any comments regarding plasti dip. I've always wanted to paint my wheels black but was held back from doing so due to the possibility that I would not like the results (obviously can't remove the paint). I've been hearing a lot about this plasti dip product and have been doing a bit of research on it. It seems to be a hit in the automotive world, mainly because it is 100% removable. I love the idea of being able to paint my wheels and having the option to remove it when I get tired of it.

For those who have no idea what it is......

Plasti dip is a spray-on synthetic rubber coating. It resists moisture, acid, and is able to withstand temperatures reaching 200 deg. F. The best part is that it peels away like a latex glove, revealing the surface below just as it was when it was sprayed. It results in a flat black finish but is also paintable. In other words, it can be painted over with a gloss or semi-gloss paint, as well as a clear coat finish.....all the while being able to be peeled away. It can be purchased at any home improvement store such as Home Depot or Lowes

IMG_0005.jpg

Here's a Lightning with plasti dipped wheels:

Before
IMG_4509.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

Result
IMG_0008.jpg

Plasti dip removal.....

Plasti Dip Removal - YouTube

Attachments

• IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 2,707
  • Sponsors (?)

There are tons of people all over the net who've PD their wheels with good results, and have lasting results. Guys have even taken their cars on hi-po driving classes with no ill effects. PD also makes a clear version, if you don't like the matte finish.

I PD my grill, and it's been holding fine for almost a year. No dings, rock chips, nada

100711104844-1.jpg

It's been holding up fine for me since I have applied it. I've even hit it full blast at the car wash to make sure it'd hold and it didn't peel. Pretty cool stuff.

If you don't mind, I have a couple of questions for you.....

1. How would you rate the finish? Is it a flat/matte or more of a semi-glossy finish?

2. Can you give a quick rundown of how you applied it?

If you don't mind, I have a couple of questions for you.....

1. How would you rate the finish? Is it a flat/matte or more of a semi-glossy finish?

2. Can you give a quick rundown of how you applied it?

It's matte in finish.

You spray it like spray paint, light coats. Allow drying time in between coats. Unlike spray paint, it's very forgiving if you get it a bit heavy in places.

When I sprayed my grill, I did about 4 coats.

As stated it's a matte finish but I imagine you could put a clear over it to add some shine. I did not go that route.

It is VERY easy to apply and you don't have to worry about runs or anything like that as it sprays on pretty thick. You will be fine with ordering two cans for all four rims if you do apply it.

I did one rim at a time by removing the rim, taping off the ford oval on the center cap, and used a deck of cards to surround the rim so i didn't get lots of overspray on the tire. Very cool stuff and can always be removed

Was looking on my phone before. Just saw they have a spray version. That's pretty cool. The stuff I used was like a gel in a can almost. You literally dipped whatever into it.

Judging from the comments, I'd say go for it. I'm thinking of doing it for my winter rims on my beater now.

Was looking on my phone before. Just saw they have a spray version. That's pretty cool. The stuff I used was like a gel in a can almost. You literally dipped whatever into it.

Judging from the comments, I'd say go for it. I'm thinking of doing it for my winter rims on my beater now.

It's sold right next to the can of the stuff :) It's about 5.50-$6 a can so for $12 whats it going to hurt to spray the winter rims :D You can always peel it off if you don't like it. It might help save the finish on the rims aswell if you live in an area with lots of salt/etc on the roadway.