Please Help!! Transmission Issue After Engine Replacement

Logan Winship

Oct 10, 2016
I'm new to the forums so sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place. But I own a 2000 mustang gt with roughly 117,000 miles on it. My engine just locked up about a month ago and so I decided I wanted to keep the car since I really loved it and got a shop to put a new engine in it. I've never had any problems relating to transmission before this and have had my clutch replaced about 6 months ago or so. So I just got the car back after the engine replacement and the first thing I noticed was that the shifter felt super loose (has a lot of movement while in gear) and I could wiggle the shifter left and right and then in 3rd I can move it left right up and down and it just felt really wrong (also going into third gear it won't engage sometimes and I have time pull it out and put it back in for it to engage). It has never felt like this before and was always very stiff in gear and jusy felt right. I took it back the next day just assuming they didn't bolt it back on properly and no big deal but turns out they said it's a full blown transmission issue and said they think it has something to do with my syncro bands (or something like that) and told me they couldn't have messed it up because they didn't drop the tranny or anything but I feel like they had to have done something considering I noticed the problem before even driving it off the lot when picking it up after the engine replacement. I'm just here to ask for any insight as to if there is something that they did that would cause this or if I'm just having the worst luck evee. Sorry for the super long post and thanks for any responses. Any help/insight would be grateful.

• Sponsors (?)

Bring it back to those fools. They messed up something with your linkage or internals of trans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what I want to do and make them fix it because I'm almost certain it was their fault but they are denying it and won't fix it for free so how would I go about proving this and making them do it?

You sure they didn't pull the tranny along with the motor? If your shifter was pulled, someone could have dropped the little plastic cup that the shifter ball sits in. It's just a little bushing that sits down in the tailshaft. They will occasionally wear or break, or they'll stick to the bottom of the shifter when you pull it out.

I would pull the shifter and look down in there, if you think that may be what happened. Not hard to do at all.

Reactions: 1 user