Poll: Who Has Wheel Hop?

Have you experienced wheel hop in your S550?

• Total voters

ximportdriver

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 7, 2003
Rancho Cordova
Some people say the S550 has wheel hop while others do not.

Wheel hop is serious not only for traction issues but also for potentially harmful damage. We have seen broken half shafts in 2003-2004 Cobras due to this behavior. We also know of ways to eliminate or minimize it. See my post from the SVT section of StangNet for more details if you wish.

What I think we should do is hold a poll and look for trends.

First, please vote.

Second, please provide the details using the following template:

• Engine
  • Transmission
  • Wheels (height and width)
  • Tires (brand, model, and dimensions)
  • Weather
  • Tires warm or cold
  • Wheel hop yes or no
Here is an example:

• Engine: 5.0
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Wheels: 20x9
  • Tires: Pirelli P Zero Summer 35R20-275
  • Weather: warm
  • Tires: cold
  • Wheel hop: no
Thanks for your help!

I will track the data in a spreadsheet and analyze for trends and see if this issue is common or isolated to specific conditions.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

I can't launch with much power with these smaller tires. I slip very easy, but never any hop.

• Transmission: Auto
  • Wheels: 18x?
  • Tires: Pirelli P Zero Nero 235/50/18
  • Weather: cool & warm (Florida)
  • Tires: cool & warm
  • Wheel hop: no

Now, here's the big question.....

Are you trying it on the street or on the track? Big difference when the car is TRYING to hook and when it just blows the tires off.

On the street, with the stock tires, it just knocks the tires off and there it almost no wheel hop.

If you haven't launched the car on good concrete surface, you likely haven't felt the wheel hop.

Here's what all that hopping looks like in the data logs....THIS is what breaks parts....you can even se where I pedal it twice and get back in it and it still does it.

Killin%20Tires.jpg

Let's go for a ride and you tell me.....

View: https://youtu.be/5PltbaOo4rA

View: https://youtu.be/5cCd5XnWVho

Last edited:
  • Engine: 5.0 Supercharged (646 rwhp)
  • Transmission: Auto
  • Wheels: 20 x 10
  • Tires: Mickey Thompson Sport Comp 275/35/20
  • Weather: Cold, Super Cold, Really Cold, Beyond Cold and Mild
  • Tires: Cold and Warm (34*-70*)
  • Wheel hop: No
Street Use, Road Track Use, No Drag Strip as of yet

FWIW, the 04 Cobra that we had brand new hopped like a bitch on the street with the stock tires and blew the rear out of the car at the track with 3,500 miles on the odometer. The 2015 is apples to oranges from that car in my opinion so far

Now, here's the big question.....

Are you trying it on the street or on the track? Big difference when the car is TRYING to hook and when it just blows the tires off.

On the street, with the stock tires, it just knocks the tires off and there it almost no wheel hop.

If you haven't launched the car on good concrete surface, you likely haven't felt the wheel hop.

Here's what all that hopping looks like in the data logs....THIS is what breaks parts....you can even se where I pedal it twice and get back in it and it still does it.

Killin%20Tires.jpg

Let's go for a ride and you tell me.....

View: https://youtu.be/5PltbaOo4rA

View: https://youtu.be/5cCd5XnWVho

Can you also give us the details using the aforementioned template?

I just think you're trying to analyze something that there is already a fix for.....getting rid of soft, compliant suspension mounting components that allow too much movement in what should be a fixed sub-structure. Ford already has a "track" ready subframe for the car that eliminates all the rubber bushings in the stock configuration. You can get just the aluminum bushings and do it yourself or you can order the pre-assembled subframe. The trade-off is increased ride harshness....

But, anyways....
  • Transmission: Manual
  • Wheels: 18x8
  • Tires: Stock Pirelli P Zero 235/50/18
  • Weather: warm
  • Tires: warm, cleaned off prior to passes.
  • Wheel hop: yes.

FWIW, the 04 Cobra that we had brand new hopped like a **** on the street with the stock tires and blew the rear out of the car at the track with 3,500 miles on the odometer. The 2015 is apples to oranges from that car in my opinion so far

I'm sure the auto has something to do with it. The automatics preloading the car at the line maybe is helping to alleviate the wheel hop you otherwise see vs. in the Cobras (manuals) dumping the clutch and hopping.

I only had one car with wheel hop issues (the 04 cobra) with street tires and never got around to seriously dragging it with slicks or caring to fix it much. I had clutch issues the few times I raced it and didnt' go back to the track after fixing that. So I unfortunately can't contribute much to this other than saying wheel hop feels horrible haha.

I've installed the full tilt boogie delrin bushing in quite a few cobras with great results, albeit the install is a chore. The easy way out was a solid rear axle swap, we did that after exploding the stock setup in our 04' Cobra. That doesn't seem to be the easy way out anymore, I'm curious to see what the aftermarket brings to the table. If you look at the fact that Ford Racing already has quite the few products out including the whole rear frame, they are aware of some type of issue. I'm just glad to not have encountered it yet!

I just ordered the vertical links and the subframe supports so we'll see if that helps. Plus with the new wheels and tires (wider / stickier) it should help considerably launching it.

Between the stock tires and movement in the subframe, there is just no way to control the subframe movement when the tires are cycling from static to kinetic friction like that. When the forces and torques don't equal zero, something has to move.

As soon as I have the supports and vertical links in hand I'll get them tossed on and if I'm happy with the tune I'll take it back to the track and see how it does. Like I said, on the street it's no issue, the car just cleanly blows the tires off. The track is where the wheel hop shows up.

I just ordered the vertical links and the subframe supports so we'll see if that helps. Plus with the new wheels and tires (wider / stickier) it should help considerably launching it.

Between the stock tires and movement in the subframe, there is just no way to control the subframe movement when the tires are cycling from static to kinetic friction like that. When the forces and torques don't equal zero, something has to move.

As soon as I have the supports and vertical links in hand I'll get them tossed on and if I'm happy with the tune I'll take it back to the track and see how it does. Like I said, on the street it's no issue, the car just cleanly blows the tires off. The track is where the wheel hop shows up.

What was your best 1/4 time?

Who has wheel hop?
Anyone who owns a 2005 or newer Mustang (and 03-04 Cobra) . The aftermarket was very quick to come up with a fix for the last generation Mustangs and based on some of the post I've seen here it seems they are already on top of it for the S550s. Because of the focus on limiting NVH suspension components with some flex are inevitable. In a way it make sense. Think about it. How many people here would believe the salesman if they told you that the occasional noise and vibration from under the rear of the car you experienced while testing driving a new Mustang is just the rear suspension working to reduce your wheel hop?
And no this is not a issue unique to Mustangs or American cars.

Last edited:
  • Engine - GT 5.0
  • Transmission - Manual
  • Wheels (height and width) 19 x 8"?
  • Tires (brand, model, and dimensions) Pirelli P Niro Zero All Season 19/40/355
  • Weather - Cold - mild (Winter to spring)
  • Tires warm or cold (Both)
  • Wheel hop yes or no - no
But I have to say when I get on it I try not to spin the wheels (Don't feel like spending $1000 every 6 month to year). I have used launch control when I really want to get on it and it seems to work for me.

Another Note: I do have the Eibach pro springs installed. (helped with Dive) didn't notice wheel hop before spring swap

• Engine - GT 5.0
  • Transmission - Manual
  • Wheels (height and width) 19 x 8"?
  • Tires (brand, model, and dimensions) Pirelli P Niro Zero All Season 19/40/355
  • Weather - Cold - mild (Winter to spring)
  • Tires warm or cold (Both)
  • Wheel hop yes or no - no
But I have to say when I get on it I try not to spin the wheels (Don't feel like spending $1000 every 6 month to year). I have used launch control when I really want to get on it and it seems to work for me.

Another Note: I do have the Eibach pro springs installed. (helped with Dive) didn't notice wheel hop before spring swap

With 355mm rubber, are you running custom rims or do you have the Track Pack or 50th Anniversary rims that are 9.5" wide?