Possible Egr Or Coil Pack Issue?

antknee

Jul 18, 2011
I was hoping to get some diagnostic help. Around Christmas my 2000 gt was riding a little rough and felt like it was missing a bit. I got a bit of gas and it seemed to get worse- thinking it was bad gas or something I filled up and added seaform to the tank and limped home. I parked it for 4 days over Christmas and when I tried to start it, it wouldn't start. Just made a real odd noise.. thinkkng it may be the fuel pump, I primed it by turning the key part way a few times, it was better but still no start. Attached jumper cables and got it started. My usual car guy isn't avail, but I sent him a vid and he thinks it's the coil pack. In doing some reading I saw it's also possible that it's a bad EGR. By this brief description, any opinions?

• Sponsors (?)

With the info given neither of those would be my first suspicion.

Your car has 8 individual coil packs; even if one went bad it wouldn't prevent the car from at least starting.

An EGR valve that's stuck open can cause rough idling or even stalling but it won't stop the thing from starting.

I'd check the fuel system. Check for pressure at the Schrader valve, for example. Quality of fuel and/or possible contamination (water in the tank?) could also be culprits.

Thanks for the input- to be honest the fuel was my first suspect since it got bad after I put some gas in it. Like I said, I topped off and added seafoam because I had some around.
Does the fact that it started after a jump mean anything?
Should I drive it around a bit to maybe burn that gas off?

IF it starts better with a jump, I would begin trouble shooting with the charging system.

Bottom line. Today's cars simply will not run right without a strong battery and charging system. Don't cut corners here.

At the very least, begin trouble shooting with a KNOWN good battery, battery cables, and alternator.