Drivetrain Possible Trans Electrical Short

Arthur Nelson

Jan 3, 2015
I have a 94 GT I bought from my brother-in-law after the car sat in his yard for over 5 years. The car is automatic w/overdrive. After replacing all the usual items I got the car started; and it runs pretty darn good, except when I put the shifter in the number "2" position, the engine shuts right off. No hesitation or anything, just off. I expect possibly a bad/ shorted MLP/TR sensor or a short/ground in its wire harness??
Anybody else experienced this problem?

• Sponsors (?)

The early MLPS sensor on the AODE transmission is a known issue. They weren't properly waterproofed and would eventually corrode. Take a look at the first part of this web page, it describes it in detail.

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/mn12-techinfo/trans-tech/4r70w_rebuild.html

Also, you'll notice there's a line on the inner ring and a corresponding line on the outer sensor. Those lines need to match up when the car is in neutral. If they're not aligned, the car's computer won't know what gear you're in. This part is easy to check without replacing the sensor. To rotate the sensor, just loosen the two mounting bolts and rotate the sensor.

The early MLPS sensor on the AODE transmission is a known issue. They weren't properly waterproofed and would eventually corrode. Take a look at the first part of this web page, it describes it in detail.

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/mn12-techinfo/trans-tech/4r70w_rebuild.html

Also, you'll notice there's a line on the inner ring and a corresponding line on the outer sensor. Those lines need to match up when the car is in neutral. If they're not aligned, the car's computer won't know what gear you're in. This part is easy to check without replacing the sensor. To rotate the sensor, just loosen the two mounting bolts and rotate the sensor.

Thanks for the info but now an update. The battery has a drain on it. If I don't start the car every 3 - 4 days the battery is too low to start the car. So I did an amp check on the battery and found the draw is over 1+ amps. Too high so I began pulling fuses from under the hood when I pulled the 20amp fuse supplying the fuel pump, maf, tps etc... plus the TRANSMISSION the amp draw dropped from 1+ amps to a normal .32 amps.