Possible Wheel Bearing?

bigc2330

Nov 13, 2009
My car is making a clunk noise or grinding noise when driving over a rough bump / rough railroad crossing and will make the same noise when making a left turn with a bump in the intersection. I have not heard it while making a right turn with or without driving over bumps. I can make left turns all day with even pavement and will not hear the noise. I have also tried driving in circles with the wheel completely turned left / right in a parking lot and did not hear the noise. The noise is coming from the front passenger side of the car.
This is not the normal whine/squealing sound that I have heard from cars with bad wheel bearings.

I lifted the car and tried wiggling the wheel up/down, left/right and did not notice any movement.
Brakes are about to need replacing by visual inspection (no squealing yet)

The car is a 2000 GT. Stock ride height. New front control arm (bushings and ball joint). Struts, sway bar bushings, end-link bushings, are about 2 years old (appear to be in good shape).

• Sponsors (?)

No, I could not duplicate the noise with it on jack stands.
I did notice the my front brake pads were thin, but I don't think that has anything to do with the noise I am hearing whenever it happens.

Update: I found the problem and I was wrong about the noise coming from the front of the car.
The noise was coming from the metal fuel line that runs under the body of the car. The fastener broke away from the car and was dangling right above the driveshaft and when I would hit a bump it would slap against the driveshaft making the grinding/clunk noise.
Problem fixed!