Possibly Getting A Used Stang...opinions Wanted!

Nightslayer277

May 4, 2015
Hello all,

I am in the prospective market for a mustang (leaning towards a 00-04 over a 96-99). But I have a dilemma... all of the mustangs are either v8 automatics, or v6 manuals. Both have their positives and negatives, but the main dilemma is do i get the v8 but get stuck with an auto? or do I go for the stick and deal with not having that v8 sound? It is going to be hard to find a v8 stick due to most of them being pretty kept up here, so they are out of my price range (around 4.2k).

Some outside info: I'm not much of a speed demon, all id do to it is probably do rims, tires, maybe lower it slightly to give it a better presence, and then just a muffler change and some cosmetics, it'd be a DD/Cruiser. Which is why I'm so torn, cause the stick loses the v8 sound but the v8 wouldn't be as fun (no sweet downshifting :notnice:). Any opinions on the matter are welcome! Also any red flags to watch out for when looking at a used stang of these years is appreciated! I don't know too much about them yet
:stupid:

• Sponsors (?)

Yes I agree that you should save up and get a V8 stick. The stick is pretty nice even at a V6, so if you want to start there it won't be a bad idea. Especially since the V6 models for those years are cheaper.

Yeah that is what my current thoughts on it are at the moment, im not in a rush by any means though....any tips on what to look for when looking at a used mustang of this year range? any red flags or warning signs that I should keep an eye on?

My first Mustang was V6 and two months down the road erytime a 5.0 pulled along side me I lowered my seat and yielded the road. That was long enough ago I now consider the GT my first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah that is what my current thoughts on it are at the moment, im not in a rush by any means though....any tips on what to look for when looking at a used mustang of this year range? any red flags or warning signs that I should keep an eye on?
You should definitely ask about the state of the clutch. Like when it was last replaced or how much wear it has. Also ask about the spark plugs and fuel injectors as those can affect performance down the road. It also depends if you want to swap stock parts for performance parts because then it won't matter what it has.

awesome, and i don't think i'd do any crazy modifications.....and would there be a way to tell if the clutch is on its way out while driving it? im new to stick so I am not 100% on the feel from good and bad clutches. I appreciate the help!

awesome, and i don't think i'd do any crazy modifications.....and would there be a way to tell if the clutch is on its way out while driving it? im new to stick so I am not 100% on the feel from good and bad clutches. I appreciate the help!
Yeah sometimes it's very tricky to notice the condition of the clutch since many cars feel different and the type of clutch could be different. One thing you can do is have someone who is a little more experienced with manual cars test drive it and let him tell you how it feels. Basically when you test drive it, you need to notice that the car doesn't jerk excessively when you shift and release the clutch. Also the clutch should have like a couple of inches before it beings to disengage, so if you feel like it disengages too quickly then it could be going bad. Another sign could be a weird kind of burning smell after driving. While this can happen with bad shifting, it means that the clutch is slipping and needs to be replaced soon.

Another sign could be a weird kind of burning smell after driving. While this can happen with bad shifting, it means that the clutch is slipping and needs to be replaced soon.

I remember smelling clutch when i was learning in my friends car, but he said that it was from a mixture of just using it a lot (cause i was learning ie: bad shifting like you said) and the fact it was somewhat new (10k ish miles)...is that a thing? or is it possible he is misled and that we shouldn't have been smelling anything?

I remember smelling clutch when i was learning in my friends car, but he said that it was from a mixture of just using it a lot (cause i was learning ie: bad shifting like you said) and the fact it was somewhat new (10k ish miles)...is that a thing? or is it possible he is misled and that we shouldn't have been smelling anything?
No it is not uncommon for that burning smell after installing a new clutch although I am not completely sure that it would still smell after 10k miles. Like it could only be due to the bad shifting. But if you are buying a used car, then it's probably more safe to assume that the clutch is old than it being new.

Surging R.P.M.'s after clutch engagement. The car doesn't cut off in second gear. The clutch doesn't sit on the hills while clutch is engaged and emergency brake is disengaged. Are ways to tell if the clutch is about to fail. Some clutch's won't show any symptoms, all of a sudden, they will quit.

If you want a V8 with the 5 speed then buy the V8 with the 5 speed. You'll be kicking yourself down the road for not buying what you really wanted in the first place. V6 Mustangs were given inferior drivetrains & the only upside of ownership I can see is lower insurance premiums b/c the V8 gas mileage isn't much worse considering how much faster it is.