Powerslot -vs- Brembo Rotors -vs- Cheap-O's

2002GreyGT

Jun 10, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Well I have about 60K on my GT and I am going to be doing a brake shop soon. I have always had problems with my rotors warping (lets not debate that rotors don't warp vs uneven pad wear, etc please. I think they warp)

So is there a huge difference in the quality of the rotors? :shrug:

I am thinking of putting 13" Brembo X/D with Hawk HPS on the front which has a cobra upgrade kit on it. and OEM with new pads on the rear.

Anyone see anything wrong or have suggestions on what my prevent my rotors from getting trashed every year! :notnice: :bang:

Thanks

~K

• Sponsors (?)

Ive got stock sized 11" brembo rotors (cross drilled) and i drive them pretty hard. Had them for a few thousand miles and theyre great

2002GreyGT said:
I already have the 13" Upgrade have for almost and year, forgot what type of rotors I got with it though...but they are already giving me brake vibration.

~K

'no name' rotors will do this...

I treat my brakes bad, no respect, and I havent had any warping issues with mine, and they have been turned once too. I doubt that would be the case with the cheap type(also cheap drilled brembos)

Theoretically, solid faced rotors should be less prone to warpage due to their extra mass over drilled and slotted and ability to absorb heat.

Although cheapo rotors will warp no matter what.

Plain-faced brembos (factory 99+ Cobra rotor) would be my recommendation

Isnt the warping problem likely related to upgrading just the front and unbalancing the brake system ? From what Ive read upgrades to only the front lead to too much braking at the front and too little at the rear which leads to warping....

I have the setup you are asking about and have no problem with it at all. It performs and looks much better than stock. I have the 13" Brembo D&S rotors in front w/ Cobra calipers and some D&S Brembo's in the rear as well.

I have done some high speed braking with it and have not noticed any warping at all. People have different theories on how and why rotors can warp. The drilled and slotted are designed to vent heat faster than regular vented rotors, although they have less mass.

I just thought I'd let you know that the setup you are thinking of works great, and you shouldn't have any problems with it unless you go skimpy on the rotors and get some el-cheapo's. Stick with the best and you'll get the best results.

cooter_11 said:
I have the setup you are asking about and have no problem with it at all. It performs and looks much better than stock. I have the 13" Brembo D&S rotors in front w/ Cobra calipers and some D&S Brembo's in the rear as well.

I have done some high speed braking with it and have not noticed any warping at all. People have different theories on how and why rotors can warp. The drilled and slotted are designed to vent heat faster than regular vented rotors, although they have less mass.

I just thought I'd let you know that the setup you are thinking of works great, and you shouldn't have any problems with it unless you go skimpy on the rotors and get some el-cheapo's. Stick with the best and you'll get the best results.
Where'd you get the d/s Brembo rotors?

HoustonGT said:
Where'd you get the d/s Brembo rotors?

Brembo doesn't make a rotor with both drilled and slotted. They only do one or the other.

Companies on EBay buy the brembos and do the drilling and slotting themselves. It's done third party, so not sure if their specifications would be equal to brembo's

Mustang5L5 said:
Brembo doesn't make a rotor with both drilled and slotted. They only do one or the other.

Companies on EBay buy the brembos and do the drilling and slotting themselves. It's done third party, so not sure if their specifications would be equal to brembo's
Hmm, well im not buying those. From what i hear they have a tendency to crack when the drilling is done after the rotor is cast

A problem I had with drilled rotors on my cougar was that the holes would get filled with brake dust if you bought cheap pads. They also rusted inside and the holes are about half the size they were when I bought them. I could drill them out again but it's a PITA to get them off my Cougar.

2002GreyGT said:
Well I have about 60K on my GT and I am going to be doing a brake shop soon. I have always had problems with my rotors warping (lets not debate that rotors don't warp vs uneven pad wear, etc please. I think they warp)

So is there a huge difference in the quality of the rotors? :shrug:

I am thinking of putting 13" Brembo X/D with Hawk HPS on the front which has a cobra upgrade kit on it. and OEM with new pads on the rear.

Anyone see anything wrong or have suggestions on what my prevent my rotors from getting trashed every year! :notnice: :bang:

Thanks

~K

What kind of pads did you use?

merc123 said:
A problem I had with drilled rotors on my cougar was that the holes would get filled with brake dust if you bought cheap pads. They also rusted inside and the holes are about half the size they were when I bought them. I could drill them out again but it's a PITA to get them off my Cougar.
I have that problem too, the previous owner added cheapo drilled/slotted rotors and now the holes are rusting shut :rlaugh:

Here's my .02 and experience...

I upgraded my front brakes about a year ago. I always wanted a set of drilled rotors, so I got some.

Brembo does not make a rotor that is both drilled AND slotted, like Mustang5L5 said. I purchased the original Brembos on Tire Rack (the drilled version). About 300.00 shipped (lucky I live Hawaii). I also purchased the Hawk HPS pads, but more on those later. Also bought some Goodridge SS lines, but more on that later too.

I purchased the Bullitt calipers seperately from PPI. Decent price, cheapest shipping (for me), and good service.

Put everything on, and the lines didn't fit. Went through 3 sets, yes 3, but all didn't fit on the hard line side. Don't ask me why. Ended up getting some from my friends store here in Hawaii. HUGE difference in pedal feel and well worth the 65 bux I paid for them.

Now, on to the Hawks. Read some reviews on Tire Rack about them, and most said that the pads were loud. Against my better judegment, I ordered them anyway and regretted every minute of it. They squealed like DAMN HELL everytime I came to a stop, so much to the point that it was embarrasing. I replaced them with the factory pads that came with the Bullitt calipers and although it "seemed" to lose some stopping power, NO noise at all. Promptly threw the Hawk pads in the trash.

So, unless you really want a set of genuine drilled brembos, order the Bullitt package set from someone rather than doing it piece by piece like I did. It ended up costing me much more only because I wanted the drilled rotor.

Good luck.