Pressurized Airbox?

Aznpersuasion

Sep 4, 2015
Coming from motorcycles and their pressurized airbox wouldn't setting like the Airaid 451-328 MXP Cold Air Intake be a better solution then the other "open top" options when the vehicle is at speed? Or is the configuration not quite a ram air style? One could probably make it a ram air setup fairly easy though.

• Sponsors (?)

Coming from motorcycles and their pressurized airbox wouldn't setting like the Airaid 451-328 MXP Cold Air Intake be a better solution then the other "open top" options when the vehicle is at speed? Or is the configuration not quite a ram air style? One could probably make it a ram air setup fairly easy though.
Despite what you may read about ingesting "hot air" from under the hood (the main reason for the sealed box) I've seen increases on the dyno with the lid removed on the Airaid CAI in particular as compared to having the lid on. FWIW, this was backed up on the track as well... 2 MPH more at the 1320 stripe without the lid on a friends S550

I don't quite understand the box. @84Ttop doesn't have a box, I won't have one either very soon. I've seen many vehicles just run a pipe and cone filter. I would think that would allow for more air than a semi sealed container for your air filter.

on a dyno most of the time the runs are performed with the hood open and a fan pumping at at the front, so an ope top air box will shine, but close the hood and you wont get that cool air, dyno runs like that are misleading

on a dyno most of the time the runs are performed with the hood open and a fan pumping at at the front, so an ope top air box will shine, but close the hood and you wont get that cool air, dyno runs like that are misleading
The issue is more so the volume of air lid vs no lid, while the temperature of that air plays a role it doesn't affect the performance as much as some people believe. This is indicative of the mph increase I described on my buddies S550 while at the track. 2 mph in the 1320' doesn't seem like a lot but it does indicate an increase in hp even if the ET is not greatly affected.

Just found out my blower connects to the stock airbox. grrr I didn't want to use that ugly thing. @84Ttop do you forsee any issues with clamping a good cone filter to the blower inlet tube and telling the tuner that's what I've done?

Just found out my blower connects to the stock airbox. grrr I didn't want to use that ugly thing. @84Ttop do you forsee any issues with clamping a good cone filter to the blower inlet tube and telling the tuner that's what I've done?
I see no issue with using a simple cone filter. I would prefer to see you use a cai kit that will come with a mounting plate if you don't like the stock air box. Personally I don't mind the factory air box, I still have my stock air box in for when I street drive the car. I disconnect and remove it at the track and use a bell mouth on the blower with no filter :eek:. You should be getting a new mass air housing to slide your mass air card into so that it can be "blow thru".

This was what we first mocked up on mine, it would have worked just fine if it wasn't for the 2011-2014 inlet tube hitting the hood lol.
IMG_20141120_193223810.jpg

This is what we settled on (after I made a polished aluminum inlet tube to snaz it up a bit) with the factory air box and K&N drop in filter.
IMG_20150605_152831.jpg

This is the "track" setup. Not that I recommend driving around with no air filter, that can get expensive if something gets sucked in there....
IMG951614_2.jpg

I hope they've figured out the hood clrearance issue....
I did some of the R&D on the S550 kits with my car. I was the crash test dummy that figured that out :) They have a custom molded plastic inlet tube designed specifically for the S550's.
Do you have to re-flash the car when you change out the different air setups?
No reflash required, the air is metered after the blower so there is no ill effect. The car picks up 1 lb of boost with the airbox/filter removed and the bell mouth installed which is worth a few HP