Pro-comp Heads?

stanglover0526

Mar 1, 2009
missouri
i am looking to buy some heads for my 91 gt and ran across this company through jegs. I havent heqard much about them and wanted to find some people running them.Here are the specs i got off the site.

Procomp Aluminum Heads For Small Block Ford 210CC intake Runners And 60CC Combustion Cambers There Heads Are Ready To Bolt On with 3/8 Studs And Guide Plate The Springs are Good up to 600 Lift Solid Or hydraulic Cams

Aluminum Cylinder Heads Feature-

Hardened Seats
Bronze Valve Guides
High Grade Aluminum
Multi-Angle Seat Design
Available Complete or Bare
Available fully CNC Machined
Designed Performance Valve Springs
Advanced Port Design for Greater Flow
Combustion Chamber: 60cc
Intake Runner: 210cc
Intake Valve: 2.02"
Exhaust Valve: 1.60"
Spring Pressure Closed: 140 lbs. @ 1.800"
Spring Pressure Open: 325 lbs. @ 1.225"
Retainer Material: Steel
Valve Seal Material: Viton
Valve Guide Material: Manganese Bronze
Valve Job: 3-angle

• Sponsors (?)

The heads don't really flow all that well, I'd spend a little more on something that is proven.

FWIW- I switch a customer from the 210cc ProComp to the 205cc AFR and picked up 65RWHP!

Procomps are fine. They are an Austrailian ( I cant spell right now...) company. The 210's are really big for a 302 unless you are going to spin it to 10k. People aren't familar with the company, so they are not big on buying there stuff. My buddy's 406 has a set of their h beam rods in it. They are nice. ARP bolts... I am going to buy a set of their heads. I have talked to their techs at length. They know their stuff. I would buy them I see nothing wrong with the quality. Youtube has a channel from them. Check them out.

Procomps are fine. They are an Austrailian ( I cant spell right now...) company. The 210's are really big for a 302 unless you are going to spin it to 10k. People aren't familar with the company, so they are not big on buying there stuff. My buddy's 406 has a set of their h beam rods in it. They are nice. ARP bolts... I am going to buy a set of their heads. I have talked to their techs at length. They know their stuff. I would buy them I see nothing wrong with the quality. Youtube has a channel from them. Check them out.

Pro Comp heads are NOT cast in Australia, they are Chinese...... but don't believe me, check what the Aussie's at their EBay site DO confirm = http://reviews.ebay.com.au/Guide-to...ds-for-Small-Block_W0QQugidZ10000000005730226

210cc heads are NOT really big for a 302 engine, nor do you need to rev it to 10k RPM..... IF you set/combine it with the correct components. :)

Pro Comp heads are NOT cast in Australia, they are Chinese...... but don't believe me, check what the Aussie's at their EBay site DO confirm = http://reviews.ebay.com.au/Guide-to...ds-for-Small-Block_W0QQugidZ10000000005730226

210cc heads are NOT really big for a 302 engine, nor do you need to rev it to 10k RPM..... IF you set/combine it with the correct components. :)

I know their heads are Chinese. I just said the company was from austrailia. Did you know that 90% of all high perf. parts are imported. Might be final machined here in the USA, but cast in another country. Take Eagle for instance. There rods are from the same stock as Procomps. The difference, they are machined here instead of somewhere else....

And 210cc is too big for a 302. A naturally aspirated 302 that is. If you threw some big boost at it then I can see it needing that much port volume. And bringing up the GM stuff has no basis in this argument. It is a a larger engine, with a different head design. And has variable valve timming. so it can compensate for alot more then a non variable timming set.

How does those 289 heads flow? I bet your 302 needs all 700 CFM of that carb too....

OCT 09 ISSUE OF MM&FF They took a junk yard 302, trick flow cam, these exact same pro comp heads, roller tip rockers, eglin hardened pushrods, parker funnel intake, and a 750 holley carb and made 399hp 363lb of tq and it only cost them $1,064.00 total, that was including price of motor as well. so these heads have to be pretty good i would think.

I know their heads are Chinese. I just said the company was from austrailia. Did you know that 90% of all high perf. parts are imported. Might be final machined here in the USA, but cast in another country. Take Eagle for instance. There rods are from the same stock as Procomps. The difference, they are machined here instead of somewhere else....

And 210cc is too big for a 302. A naturally aspirated 302 that is. If you threw some big boost at it then I can see it needing that much port volume. And bringing up the GM stuff has no basis in this argument. It is a a larger engine, with a different head design. And has variable valve timming. so it can compensate for alot more then a non variable timming set.

How does those 289 heads flow? I bet your 302 needs all 700 CFM of that carb too....

So TFS, AFR, Edelbrock do not cast locally? Aren't cylinder heads the topic, not rods?

Again.... why would 210cc be too big N/A on a 302? ... and what is "too much" port volume and why? .... again, N/A.

Why using GM as an example has no basis? Aren't they 4-cycle engines like the 302? And yes those truck engines do use VVT but why did they spend that much in VVT for a truck engine with those "too big" set of heads? I also wonder why the non VVT LS2's (364 ci) do benefit from those "too big" truck L92 heads in N/A form?

Those 289 heads on my junk?.... they have worked fine ever since they were installed back in 1992 and yes, it does use all the 700 CFM that carb can provide, after increasing the jets by 3 sizes from the original ones. It has been under a little resto work for a more than a year now, thanks for asking. :nice:

Subscribed

I have 210cc ProComps on my 383 stroker (351 based) with 1.7 rockers i believe my lift is only about .534-.545. I'm still sorting out why my power is crap. (even after a dyno tune)

PICT0978.jpg

Heres an idle clip too.
Help would be appreciated.....Don't want to hijack but the poster of this thread is talking about the heads i'm using. Maybe we can figure this thing out.

MustangIdleinDriveway.flv video by MassEfx - Photobucket

Chris

So TFS, AFR, Edelbrock do not cast locally? Aren't cylinder heads the topic, not rods?

Again.... why would 210cc be too big N/A on a 302? ... and what is "too much" port volume and why? .... again, N/A.

Why using GM as an example has no basis? Aren't they 4-cycle engines like the 302? And yes those truck engines do use VVT but why did they spend that much in VVT for a truck engine with those "too big" set of heads? I also wonder why the non VVT LS2's (364 ci) do benefit from those "too big" truck L92 heads in N/A form?

Those 289 heads on my junk?.... they have worked fine ever since they were installed back in 1992 and yes, it does use all the 700 CFM that carb can provide, after increasing the jets by 3 sizes from the original ones. It has been under a little resto work for a more than a year now, thanks for asking. :nice:

Not going to hijack this thread, we can start another one in talk to finish up this debate. I look forward to more spirited conversation bro! :nice:

I will start the thread tomorrow, as I'm beat from playing 6 hours of WoW... ( I know I know). See you there!

Subscribed

I have 210cc ProComps on my 383 stroker (351 based) with 1.7 rockers i believe my lift is only about .534-.545. I'm still sorting out why my power is crap. (even after a dyno tune)

PICT0978.jpg

Heres an idle clip too.
Help would be appreciated.....Don't want to hijack but the poster of this thread is talking about the heads i'm using. Maybe we can figure this thing out.

MustangIdleinDriveway.flv video by MassEfx - Photobucket

Chris

What injectors, what is your fuel pressure, what is the timming set at, what are your cam specs, Looks like the ramp is damn good, but something is happening to make it just fall off lile that. Check fuel first. Are you using a stock type ECU are you doing stand alone?

Did you see my comment of picking up 65RWHP with no other changes other then swapping the Pro Comp junk to a AFR205, thats about 77BHP?

I have had the opportunity to flow a set stock and a fully ported/worked set.....I wouldn't buy them or use them on anything I build. I've also flowed AFR, RHS and Ebrock on the same bench so I have baselines to compare them too... not to mention the components that are in them.

OCT 09 ISSUE OF MM&FF They took a junk yard 302, trick flow cam, these exact same pro comp heads, roller tip rockers, eglin hardened pushrods, parker funnel intake, and a 750 holley carb and made 399hp 363lb of tq and it only cost them $1,064.00 total, that was including price of motor as well. so these heads have to be pretty good i would think.

that just like the issue where they threw a set of AFR's and a carb on a stock 302 and made 400hp.

those magazine builds are a laughable joke and are paid advertisements.

Why?....... Do you know the intake cc's of OEM GM heads on 6.2L (376 ci) engines used in Escalades, Yukon, Sierra, Silverado trucks? ..... and a redline of 5900 RPM while making 400HP + 410TQ peak numbers?

First off, our motors weren't designed in a computer before being cast... Our 40+ year old design has seen many improvements over the years but if you get down to it, it is no LSx. Yes the heads these days are designed on cad, wildfire and what not now but they are still working within the constraints of an old engine design. For the same reason why you shouldn't swap an aftermarket cam without swapping heads too is that too much isn't always a good thing. Yes the intake can work but how well at what RPM range is the question. A lot of the magazines build dyno queens. The boast numbers but how much of it is useable... especially a street machine. You need to keep the port velocity at a useable rate to be efficient. And Rick says they are junk so they are junk.
Kevin

What Joel said.
I am a happy Pro Comp cylinder head owner.
Happy I sold them after correcting everything that was wrong with them and buying larger, port volume cylinder heads for my 302 based RR setup.