Pro/Cons of a 94-95' V6?

Pro-Hawk

Dec 4, 2003
West Texas
These last few threads here lately about the V6ers has got me thinking of fixing one up. I know where a 94-95' V6 is that I can probly pick up pretty c heap since its broke down. I know its probly those crazy head gasket deals they're known for. My question is this, did they ever come up with a head gasket for these years that can take some abuse? I got a Paxton setting on the shelf I will slap on that sucker ;) Also would would be a fair price to pay for one of these cars. I don't kow anything about the car either I'm not planning on asking anything about the car untill I've made up my mind. It probly want be until next year anyways due to the work on my SVO.

• Sponsors (?)

i had a 94 v6 with an auto tranny before i got my 99' and it was a good looking car but it was very slow. I don't know how they all run that may have just been that car. But i would suggest looking for one with low miles, i have also heard that the SC off of the T-birds will work on 94-98 stangs but not the 99' and up stangs due to the new intake.

faststang_728 said:
i had a 94 v6 with an auto tranny before i got my 99' and it was a good looking car but it was very slow. I don't know how they all run that may have just been that car. But i would suggest looking for one with low miles, i have also heard that the SC off of the T-birds will work on 94-98 stangs but not the 99' and up stangs due to the new intake.

I'm no expert but I think the 94-95's are basicaly that way. I think they are like 150-175hp where the 99-04's has 193hp :) I was just thinking of buying this one since I could get a good deal on it. I got a friend who owns a machine shop where I could get a fair price for the machine work ;) The paxton I got should bolt on but need some minor fabercating. I been wanting a newer body style anyways and I got a few cars I could sell to fund it once my SVO is done. That way my wife can't get mad at me since I'm basicaly trading one car ( or two) for another one ;)

97v6Silver said:
yeah they are don't buy one unless you hafta or just to use it as a grocery getter

I got an old rebuilt Paxton I think will help with that problem ;) I really don't want to buy a running car since I would rip the motor out for some TLC :D Refreash my memory a little: The 94-95 had the tail light lines going left to right and the 97-98's up and down ? That way I can double check what year this car is again.

faststang_728 said:
The 94' that i had would have been lucky to have 100 Hp but i don't think the engine was taken care of very well, the rest of the car was in perfect condition though and i paid $3200 for it.
I Bought my 95' with 112,000 miles on it for $3200, but we bought it knowing it needed tranny work (we had to have the flywheel resurfaced total 700 bux :notnice: ) my engine was taken car of remakably, the father of the person who owned it before me was a mechanic, and had taken care of the car, so it was running well aside from the tranny prob. Its great as a first car... as a project car... maybe not so nice, although the interior and exterior ARE in superb condition, with no flaws inside, and only a few scratches we have hidden with some touch up paint... :OT:
EDIT: anyway, the 94-95 had horizontal lights, and the 96-98 had verticle lights, somewhat like the 99+

Pros of 94-95 V6: Cheap, attractive, available in Teal, decent gas mileage, lower insurance rates.

Cons: Slow, uncomfortable seats, usually no CD player, reliability issues, ugly taillights and wheels (seriously, wtf was Ford thinking? Three spokes?!) useless cupholder, although the Fox Body Ebrake trick works pretty well. A lot of these apply to all 94-98 Stangs though.

If I were you I'd look out and try to find a 96-98.

Nazgul said:
Pros of 94-95 V6: Cheap, attractive, available in Teal, decent gas mileage, lower insurance rates.

Cons: Slow, uncomfortable seats, usually no CD player, reliability issues, ugly taillights and wheels (seriously, wtf was Ford thinking? Three spokes?!) useless cupholder, although the Fox Body Ebrake trick works pretty well. A lot of these apply to all 94-98 Stangs though.

OMG I forgot about the three spoke wheels :doh: I can live with everything else but those butt ugly wheels. OMG there is this guy in town that has like a 69 FastBack and had those wheels on it :rlaugh:

Nazgul said:

I have to agree totally with you! I owned a 94 Auto V6 before I bought my GT, and it was so incredibly slow. Don't get me wrong, I loved the car! I still owned a Mustang, and most people loved the car. My two biggest complaints were first, the engine:
-94's and 95's have 145 FLYWHEEL horsepower. If you figure in 20% drivetrain loss, because of the auto, that equals 116 RWHP....Simply not enough for a 3200 pound car. Then there is also the head gasket issue. Luckily I got one that had already been repaired!

The wheels:
-What was ford thinking. I hated the wheels. But you know what...Just replace them..Thats what I did!

Stus99GT said:
-94's and 95's have 145 FLYWHEEL horsepower. If you figure in 20% drivetrain loss, because of the auto, that equals 116 RWHP....Simply not enough for a 3200 pound car.

You think thats bad atleast you got 100hp at the rear wheel...My 93' 2.3L DP DIS has a fwhp of 112. Now take 20% off that and I'm looking at 80-90 rwhp in a 3400lb car :doh:

The whole 94-95 V6 was a thought since I could get it real cheap but I think I well save my money and look for a deal on a 03-04' Cobra once the 06'ers come out. I haven't owned a V8 in atleast 8 years anyways.

If you're starting with a cheap Mustang and the head gasket is blown, with the money I saved, I would:

Drop in a Ford F-150 4.2L short block.
Use all the externals from the 3.8L engine.
Put on your S/C.

Have some fun!

Forgot: Bolt on all the usual performance mods.

I agree with marvin on the 4.2l. very good motors. My 3.8 5 speed is not as slow as alot of them i've seen(auto mostly) :rolleyes: . i kept dead even with a 2001 3.8L 5 speed(had some mods), and beat a 2003(Stock), driver sucked i think though. I have a few mods on my stock 3.8 and am very happy with it. I need to take it to the track, but i'd say it would be a high 14's car. just guessing though.
As long as you replace the head gasket with something different then the factory head gasket, you should be fine. I've seen cars like mine with 220K on them and still runnin fine (other then head gasket change). I'm at 95K right now and no problems. :nice:

97v6Silver said:
yeah thats right i hate those tails
I like them, i think they're not as Trite as all the other tails rolling around. Matter of opinion really. :shrug:

The Stock Three spoke rims are a hell of alot better then the Hub caps I've seen on some mustangs :nonono: . Not trying to defend them to much, but I have them and they look alright for now with the white letter tires i have on. Soon to be 17x9 cobra's though. :D

Ghostalker said:
I Bought my 95' with 112,000 miles on it for $3200, but we bought it knowing it needed tranny work (we had to have the flywheel resurfaced total 700 bux :notnice: ) my engine was taken car of remakably, the father of the person who owned it before me was a mechanic, and had taken care of the car, so it was running well aside from the tranny prob. Its great as a first car... as a project car... maybe not so nice, although the interior and exterior ARE in superb condition, with no flaws inside, and only a few scratches we have hidden with some touch up paint... :OT:
EDIT: anyway, the 94-95 had horizontal lights, and the 96-98 had verticle lights, somewhat like the 99+

I paid $3200 and got almost $8000 out of it after it was totaled http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/610292/3 But some of that money was for other stuff, the car itself still got me twice what i paid for it, i was pissed when it happened but now im kinda glad there are some ****ty drivers on the road, as long as they stay away from my 99'. :D