Problems! SURVEY! Please HELP!

pdm583

Sep 20, 2004
I bought a 2001 Mustang v6 last year used. When I bought the car, i loved the interior. I has gray "leather" seats with dark gray trim. I am not sure if it is really "leather"...the dealership told me it was but I am not sure. Anyway, I have got a list of questions below I would like some people to answer for me so I can find out if the problems are just my car or everyone has these problems...

1) If you have leather, is it cracking on the sides??
2) Have you noticed rust on components of the seats? Like the power seat mechanism?? Or the around the bolts??
3) Does the carpet on the passenger side just flop down at the top and not cover all the car components? When you seat and ride you can't see where the carpet ends but if you vacuum or look under the glove box, you can see where it is not attached?
4) The top (toward the windshield) and back (towards the back glass) of the headliner does not have trim on it meaning if you look you can actually see the board and foam components??
5) All the interior plastic in the back seat area is flemmsily installed??

I also need a little help from owners of dark colored cars (Midnight Blue)...how do you remove surface scratches that do not go thru the clear coat?? My car is eat up with them...I will never own a dark colored car again!

Any help would be greatly appreicated!!!!!!!!! :hail2:

• Sponsors (?)

looks like the cops had a fun time ravaging through your car...
as for my 95' i have none of those problems, no rust on my mechanisms,
and leather tends to crack if it isnt... trated properly? i would imagine there are products you shuld use regularly to add moisture to the leather, my brothers 01' convertible GT leather seats are flawless and uncracked, but most models i see of my years have cracked leather seats, i still think, do to no maintanance, yay for soft cloth seats for me!

I'm not sure but I think the only leather in v6's came from factory on convertibles. So probably if yours isn't... its a aftermarket thing that probably would be an aftermarket add on.. therefore it would possibly crack... but in all pictures of factory leather in mustangs it cracks too.

lovell

The leather shouldn't be cracking. Have you used any leather protector that can be bought in any auto supply store? As for the scratchs, use meguiar's swirl remover when waxing your car. You can go to their website or even checkout the sound and shine section on this board and get some help there.

03v6 said:
I'm not sure but I think the only leather in v6's came from factory on convertibles. So probably if yours isn't... its a aftermarket thing that probably would be an aftermarket add on.. therefore it would possibly crack... but in all pictures of factory leather in mustangs it cracks too.

lovell

Nope, Coupe's can have leather, too. Just keep it moisturized.

I have a 00, and as far as the carpet thing goes, i had the same problem. but its nothinga little shoe glue, and 5 min. wont fix. and the leather seats ARE leather, and need to be treated like a nice leather jacket, just moisturize, and treat them, and they will last longer than cloth seats.

leather cracking is normal if untreate like most people end up not doing. as far as the carpet goes, its normal, it jus doesnt go all the way up under the dash, nothing major, nobody will ever know besides you unless you tell them about it. as far as the scratches go, try using some of the color matching wax from turtle products, i have a dark green satin 99, the green took out alot of surface scratches that were not deep at all.