Project Worth It?

Sep 5, 2016
I found a local 00 gt auto vert, with cobra wheels and full exhaust couple extras, interior and body seems to be in good shape. The motor doesn't run, owner claims it's the timing belt. I can probably scoop it up for 900 to 1200...is it worth the flip? Unless the whole motor is toast

• Sponsors (?)

Still new to mustangs but in a VW when a timing belt went it basically destroyed the motor. It was usually extensive to the point of just buying a new motor was cheaper, unless you were going to upgrade it all anyways. Then I would go for it.

First off there are no timing belts in these cars. There are however two chains and over head cams. If one of those chains has snapped or even jumped time you can bet on the pistons and valves meeting and the ensuing damage.

That still seems cheap and around here you can scoop up a good mountaineer/explorer motor for about 1k. It should still be worth the flip unless verts don't make a lot of money there. Save it for spring and some 16 year old girl and you're in. ;)

First off there are no timing belts in these cars. There are however two chains and over head cams. If one of those chains has snapped or even jumped time you can bet on the pistons and valves meeting and the ensuing damage.

That still seems cheap and around here you can scoop up a good mountaineer/explorer motor for about 1k. It should still be worth the flip unless verts don't make a lot of money there. Save it for spring and some 16 year old girl and you're in. ;)

My thoughts at least are if it wasn't a trashed motor why wouldn't the owner fix it? Second I think the rims and tires could be worth at least half the cost if I had to part it out...verts seem to be going for 3 to 5k...based on searching the last 3 or 4 months.