Pull The Trigger On '12 V6?

The Shape

Founding Member
Jan 11, 2002
East ARKANSAS Delta
Haven't had a mustang in 5 years, used to own several fox 5.0's. Right now I'm driving a 4 cylinder Tacoma and it's a nice truck and super dependable, but I'm itching for another mustang. I have found a 2012 with about 30K on it that I really like. Are there any glitches showing up on the new 3.7? I would have never considered a V6 mustang in the past but this 3.7 is a whole new animal and makes respectable power. Anyone have any issues with them I should be aware of? What about the maintenance, I kinda like how the Tacoma doesn't even call for plugs till 120K miles, it's pretty low maintenance compared to my old foxes. Is the 3.7 pretty maintenance free, I pretty much just want to change the oil, rotate the tires and enjoy driving it for 1ooK miles before needing anything else.

• Sponsors (?)

Haven't had a mustang in 5 years, used to own several fox 5.0's. Right now I'm driving a 4 cylinder Tacoma and it's a nice truck and super dependable, but I'm itching for another mustang. I have found a 2012 with about 30K on it that I really like. Are there any glitches showing up on the new 3.7? I would have never considered a V6 mustang in the past but this 3.7 is a whole new animal and makes respectable power. Anyone have any issues with them I should be aware of? What about the maintenance, I kinda like how the Tacoma doesn't even call for plugs till 120K miles, it's pretty low maintenance compared to my old foxes. Is the 3.7 pretty maintenance free, I pretty much just want to change the oil, rotate the tires and enjoy driving it for 1ooK miles before needing anything else.

I just picked up a 2012 Mustand and I love it! Pull the trigger, man!

nbz11v.jpg

They have a number of things to look out for. A few problems that Ford has a service bulletin for depending on your build date and plant The vent cap on the rear axle can leak, and require an updated part. There could also be a faulty coolant hose which can cause a water pump failure. Those are the only two issues that I have seen. Obviously there will just be those random things that no one can predict, but I haven't seen many.

Lookit man, you will be amazed at the power these new 3.7 put out, and with a tune and exhaust and CAI, you'll say WTF

same here with a 12 v6, amazing car that is just as fast as my k code 65 . yet not anywhere like my 70 boss 429 just it out handles both oldies
the early 3.7's have several tsb's about engine noise from the top end that means many hours of labor installing oil hole restrictors into the camshafts .other wise .the rear axle vent poppet leaking means a 10 dollar kit to fix. the water pump leaking due to the return hose issue

Reactions: 1 user
I love my 12 v6, have been doing a bit of research. There is alot of discredit towards them simply because it's a v6. I am currently getting ready to send my engine in to be rebuilt and re-tuned and then adding a supercharger. Looking forward to seeing what the outcome is!

I love my 12 v6, have been doing a bit of research. There is alot of discredit towards them simply because it's a v6. I am currently getting ready to send my engine in to be rebuilt and re-tuned and then adding a supercharger. Looking forward to seeing what the outcome is!
having had super six motor sports build my 07's 4.0L v6 long block then adding a xcharger results were just over 500 at the rear in 4th .so one can make them run right along side of a v8 or in some cases ahead of v8's at the 1/4 mile. while paying insurance rates for the v6.

now we have since 2011 a 3.7L that makes 305 hp at the flywheel stock a 1965 k code 289 v8 made 271 , again the tech to make them run with the big boys comes from 1 source supersix motor sports Super Six Motorsports - V6 products that make your life faster want a killer v6. they have a stroker kit to make it a 4.0L capable of up to 1.000 hp with forced induction.
stock the block holds 6 bolt mains. a forged steel crank, the rods are powder forged . pistons are hypereutectic and use anti-friction coated piston skirts, this motor is for sure built for power .
my own plans are to build a supersix 4.0 stroker long block up. add a procharger ditch the weak m82 6 speed for a tremec from modern driveline t56 kit 2011-14_V-6_Mustang_Six_Speed_Swap - Modern Driveline
so build away and enjoy the same fun I do. 3 company's make it all happen