Question on replacing headliner.

69 Capecod

Aug 30, 2004
Cape Cod MA.
I have to replace my headliner in my stang. I believe I have to start from the front to rear not real sure tho. :bang: The other question is what kind of adhesive do I use to install the headliner. Do I install it like contact cement glue both parts and stick it or use spray adhesive? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

first have a glassman come out and remove the rear glass, and the windshield. then starting in the MIDDLE work your way to the ends. you want to use a little weatherstrip adhesive to hold the headliner ends in place(trim them a bit so they dont show), and have glassman come back and reinstall the windshield and rear backlight.

Way back in June of 2002 someone posted the following tips right after doing their headliner installation. Here you go:

- - - - - - - - - -
Headliner was like $39 or $49 for the kit, headliner, windlace and glue. Yes, the winshield and back glass HAS to be removed for this process. It took about 4 hours to do. This car was totally disassembled, so I am not counting the removal of the old headliner, glass, etc. We are in the process of putting it back together after a 9 month total uni-frame up restomod.

Trick One...lay the headliner spread out in the sun to make soft and stretchy, and take the folds out of it

Trick Two...DO NOT USE the spray on glue, 3M brand for the headliner. This stuff is great for glueing the foam up before the headliner, but don't use it for glueing the edges of the headliner. Go to an upholstry shop and buy (I don't know the brand name) headliner adhesive. They had it in 5 gallon cans, took a pint mason jar and they GAVE me a half pint! This STUFF WORKS. Brush on lightly to the metal, and to the headliner, let it tack off, and IT WILL STICK!!!

Trick Three...The bows go in a certain place!! They are color coded if you look real close. On the drivers side of the bows, the bare steel is first, RED is second, WHITE is third, and BLUE is last.

Trick Four...The two little wires that go from the back bow to the back winshield, about 4 inches long, MUST be reused. They hold the back bow in place so you can stretch out the headliner from the front.

Trick Five...Have lot's of patience and start glueing at the front center and work out the front left and front right, then go to the back and pull tight, starting at the center and back left and back right....keep it tight down the middle.

Trick Six...Then go back and pull out to the door openings and around the rear sail panel.....go slow and work six to eight inches at a time....DO NOT RUSH IT.

Trick Seven...Sunvisor and Mirror and coat hooks...install the screws before starting and install the headliner over them....makes them much easier to find later. Simply find the screws, make a small hole with an awl, and unscrew them. you have a perfect template to re-install the mirror, sunvisors and coathooks.

Trick Eight...Use new winshield and back glass gaskets. Install the gaskets on the glass first. Take a 3/8" nylon rope and press down in the gasket groove thats supposed to mount to the metal lip so that the rope comes together at the bottom center of the glass. Make sure to press the rope in the groove so that the rope has disappeared down in the groove. Spray, no WET the gaskets down with windex, silcon, etc, lay the glass in place, (THIS TAKES TWO PEOPLE), and get someone from the OUTSIDE to gently press down at the bottom center of the glass while you start pulling out the rope, making sure the person on the outside presses down following the rope as it comes out. Do center to left to the A pillar, the center to right to the A piller, in other words, do the bottom first, then work around each side. As you are pulling out the rope, it pulls the gasket edge over the metal lip, and when you pull the last bit of rope out, your winshield is in place. This whole process takes only about 15 minutes!!!

There are other tips and tricks, but I can't think of any more right now.

- - - - - - - - - -

Hope this is helpful.
Svend

I will add do not buy a cheap headliner! I bought two before I got a good one that is made of thicker material. Also, on the 69 you do not have to remove the front glass because there is a interior molding piece that can hold and hide the trim work. I installed mine from front to rear and use 3M contact adhesive (brush-on), no spray makes a bigger mess.

rbohm said:
first have a glassman come out and remove the rear glass, and the windshield. reinstall the windshield and rear backlight.

DO NOT REMOVE THE WINDSHILD ON YOUR 69! the back glass only comes out! i just used the glue that came with the lit i got from npd. i can't tell you how well it held up beuause i never had a chance to drive that car.

The new headliner is in. Thanks for the tips They helped out a lot. I did only have to pull the rear window. As far as the glue I was much neater with the Spray than the brush. Then again I have used the spray type a lot more in the past so I knew what to expect when I changed from the brush. Now I just have to put the Interior back in the car. You would not believe what has to come out to do this job.

Thanks again everyone.