Questions on finishing off my exhaust

90_Red_LX

Sep 29, 2003
Asheboro, NC
I have a few questions about finishing off my exhaust. I want a Mac Prochamber o/r pipe, but it will throw the Check Engine light right? However, I seen in a catalog and ebay for "MIL Eliminators." (searched after lookin in catalog) However, the problem is that they are for 96+ only, not any 5.0's. :( I really would like to keep my check engine bulb, but will remove if necessary. My other question is on header selection. What would be the best headers? I wanted to go Mac, but after reading the reviews of people having to bend them into place, and leaking, etc etc, I thought about going BBK even though they are more expensive. Is BBK a good decent priced header? What size header for just a few bolt ons in just the near future? (bolt ons: exhaust, gears, pullies, shifter, and little stuff like that.) 1 1/2"? 1 5/8"? I am on a poor high school budget, and I want only the best mods for the best price, and still be daily driveable (for at least another year.) I now have the $ for exhaust, definetly a shifter, (damn you 3rd gear, damn you) pullies, gears, and some control arms, and then wheels/tires. Thanks. :D (sorry for long post)

• Sponsors (?)

I never had a check engine light with my Prochamber, and didn't have MIL eliminators. Ironically enough, it has come on frequently since I took the Prochamber off, but that's because of some other problems. 230,000 mile problems...
I think the MIL eliminators are only for the '96+ cars because only the computers in the 4.6 cars have a problem with offroad pipes. Somebody come in and set me strait please, if I'm out in left field here- but I didn't need them.

Oh! And for the rest, 1&5/8" headers for your bolt on list will be perfect. I put the MAC shorties on my wife's LX a couple months ago, they went on easy, nothing needed to be manhandled or bent, I really don't know what everyone is complaining about. They are a far nicer header than the Motorsport shorties on my car. Maybe we just got lucky. I was hesitant because of how so many people pissed and moaned in here about what a PITA they were to install, but a buddy of mine gave them to me for $50 so I couldn't turn down the deal. They were a peice of cake. Your exact question was "What would be the best headers?" which based on your stated budget isn't I don't think what you really meant, but just in case, the best headers are made by Hooker.

ya our foxes dont measure exhaust after the cats so there is no need to elimnate what isnt there. i peronally like long tube headers and they now make the prochamber for them as well. MM&FF just did a article on all of them. equal and un-equal length shorties header and 1 5/8 and 1 1/2 long tube headers and the long tubes came out on top both long tubes only 5hp apart but it leveld out in the end.

It's a great setup, if you live in a state with no emissions. Otherwise, there's no way to put the factory H with cats back in and bolt it up to long tubes every two years so you can get through the sniffer. You'd have to change the headers too for every test, and changing headers sucks. It's bad enough to have to put my factory H back in every couple years. I was just looking for that article and couldn't find it, but if I remember correctly it wasn't a stock 5.0 that those header designs were tested on.