Raptor Shift Light Wiring

JD1964

there is enough sticking out to grab on to
15 Year Member
Jun 28, 2013
Maryland
In order to make really good reliable connections, you have to splice in somewhere. Instructions at the Raptor site say connect at the EEC harness. They give the pin numbers for each of the wires. I would rather not splice in here.

Instructions that came in the box with the unit say the red wire needs to be to a switched and fused ignition source, the black wire to chassis ground and the green wire to the negative side of the coil.

The wiring comes with a nice shield over the three wires so I dont want to split that. Meaning that, I want to make all three connections pretty close to each other. I want to tap in at the coil under the hood. Neg tach to green wire (easy enough), put a small eye connector of the ground wire and screw it to the chassis (easy enough), and the red wire to the positive side of the coil. (whoops, it's un-fused).

So, can I put a small inline fuse in the red tach wire just after its connection at the positive side of the coil and be covered? I wont be fusing the feed to the coil itself, but the red tach wire just downstream of where it splices into the positive coil wire. This will work right?

• Sponsors (?)

That should work just fine. Remember to solder the connections and cover them with heat shrink tubing.

Reactions: 1 user
I've never soldered. I've always used crimp connectors. Mind you, I trim the insulation the right amount and crimp very tight using the proper tool and correct size connectors.

Never had a problem. That's my experience. I even tried to pull one apart the other day. Couldn't do it. Had to cut it out.