Re-paint Options

Falcon79

Apr 6, 2009
Dallas, TX
Hey guys,

I finally got my coupe to a point where its drivable. I want to take it to some local shows but my paint job sucks! It has several quarter sized chips that go down to bare metal lots of little scrapes. I cant afford to give it the paint job it deserves but i dont want to be embarrassed when i take it to a show. Anybody have a suggestion or recomendation regarding what can be done or where to take it?

• Sponsors (?)

I would encourage you to take the car to the show as it is, a work in progress. Enjoy the fellowship of fellow mustangers. Unless you have unlimited resources, which few of us have, your car may never be perfect in the near future. And you will miss a lot of great shows and people. At the last show I attedned I saw a young man with a 66 coupe that was the worst I have ever seen. But none the less he was participating , and had a large gathering offering advice and tips. Go out drive and have fun!

Reactions: 1 user
I judged a show here in Visalia Ca. The car was a 67 coupe ,in grey primer .Me and the other judges gave him second place .The interior was finished and spotless custom ,the engine compartment was a work of art .
The front fenders were off the car ,but the suspension was super clean.
he asked how he was able to rate a second place without being finished ? I told him it was because of the work he already done ,it was
spectacular ! A car does not have to be perfect to show ,just go and have fun.

Reactions: 1 user
I say cars in any condition as long as they are driveable should be brought out to cruise nights and shows. I've never understood why people want to wait until the car is finished. During all that time they miss out on making friends and free parts etc. I'd rather see a driven project making progress each time I see it than a trailer queen. If the paint is really that bad you could take it Maaco or something for a budget paint job. You could also west sand and touch up and polish the bad spots.

I was told it was the difference between sharing a classic and showing off your big buck masterpiece. But I still can not overcome any OCD tendencies and take an original that needs paint to a show.

My local paint shop can put automotive paint in a spray can ,you may be able to touch up some of the chips that way .It would require filling in the chip ,reprimering the spots then touching them up with paint .It works fairly well on a straight color ,not sure about a metallic paint .Yours looks like Royal Maroon ? I have done this on Wimbledon white and candy apple red with very good results .

CDO, now the letters are in the right order. But gravel pits still drive me nuts. And as it is a slightly faded yellow car, the touch up looks like cheap mustard. I know exactly how another owner felt touching up his Terminator last year.