Rear Brake Problems

RamnGo

Sep 3, 2016
hello folks, i got a problem with rear brakes on my 04 mach one. i replaced the rear rubber brake lines, calipers, rotors, and pads. now i dont have any brake pedal. i have bled the brakes numerous times, didnt help. the emergency brake can be pulled up 5 clicks though. i dont see any leaks anywhere. i have been told it could be a master cylinder, but i'm unsure of that. i'm not really sure where to begin diagnosing the problem at. any help is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Are the bleed screws both on the top of the cailpers......have seen some places selling one type fits both sides. That causes bleeding issues.

Emergency brake is a totally separate set of shoes and operating system.

We're the brakes functioning before the work?

Are you bleeding them with a vacuum bleeder or the old way of pump 3 times and hold? The vacuum method normally requires you to put thread tape on the bleed screw so air is not pulled thru the threads when loose.

both bleeder screws are on top of the calipers. the reason i mentioned the emergency brake is because at the beginning, it didnt grab at all because the calipers hadnt tightened up. they have now, but theres still no brake pedal there. when we bled the brakes i also did the front. one curious thing that happened is we noticed when bleeding the front, when the bleeder valve was opened, the pedal would goto the floor. they havent done that on the back. fluid does come out the back but the pedal doesnt go down. we've been bleeding them the old way. the brakes were rock solid before we did all this, but the reason we did it is because this car is really eaten up with rust. the rear rotors had massive rust spots, not surface rust but actual deep pockets of rust. the caliper had rusted so bad they were peeling off in layers.

Possibly there was air that got into the abs control module under the hood if the master cylinder got to low at any time. Some say the only way to bleed that is to have the tool to activate the solenoids to get full fluid movement, others say it just takes longer to get the air out without the tool.

Does the fluid actually squirting out of the rear bleed valves or just kind of run out?

Maybe I am wrong about the emergency brake being set of drum style shoes inside the rear rotor like my F150 Lightning. Have not had to replace rear pads on any of this vintage yet.

Last edited: