Rear end swap pics.

88 Fox GT

Nov 18, 2002
Iowa
Yes, finally got my gears. Bought this rear end with 3.55s already in it and am swapping out the old turd with 2.73s.

Here's some pics. Don't mind the dirty car or the tools all over the damn floor. :D

3.55 Rear End

View attachment 456175

View attachment 456177

View attachment 456179

Out you go!

View attachment 456181

Ugly bastard of a rear end.

View attachment 456183

View attachment 456185

New rear is in, just gotta get new brake lines tomorrow and we'll be back in action.

View attachment 456187

Anybody know if there is any way to hook the e-brake cables back up without taking the brakes apart? It was hard as hell getting them off WITH taking the brakes apart, so I doubt it. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah, not that interesting, I know. lol

Anyway, got the 3.55s in and am pretty pleased but it's so damn hot & humid out today, I think the car will run a lot harder once it cools down a little.

I can get a longer 2nd gear scratch now and can actually get a 3rd gear scratch, which couldn't be done with the 2.73s. :nice:

Jaswir said:
damn how long did that take you to do that? woulnt it be cheaper to just get the gears and install them??
Took me like 2 1/2 hours to swap rear ends. Easy stuff. I got this rear for $300. Not too bad, I don't think. Now, I need to sell my old rear end and my brand new 3.73s that I was going to put in.

The whole reason I bought this rear end is because I broke the carrier pin bolt in my rear end and could not, for the life of me, get that son of a bitch out. The only way I could have gotten it apart would have been by breaking the carrier or something. This is my daily driver right now, so that was not an option.

So, I began looking for rear ends and there was nothing around me. I called every damn salvage yard around me. Finally, I found this guy who was taking out his rear end and installing '99 Cobra IRS in his Fox, so he sold it to me. Worked out pretty good. Anyone want a brand new set of Richmond 3.73s and installation kit? lol

Jaswir said:
damn how long did that take you to do that? woulnt it be cheaper to just get the gears and install them??

It will be about the same price as a decent rear end for me once I get my crap fixed. Total cost of gears and trac-lok for me was a little over 600 bucks. Then I found out my axles are on their way out so theres the price of axles right there. For a little more money I could've had a rear end with the backup stock one. Nothing I coulda done about it though, gears were already put in when I was notified.

88 Fox GT said:
Took me like 2 1/2 hours to swap rear ends. Easy stuff. I got this rear for $300. Not too bad, I don't think. Now, I need to sell my old rear end and my brand new 3.73s that I was going to put in.

The whole reason I bought this rear end is because I broke the carrier pin bolt in my rear end and could not, for the life of me, get that son of a bitch out. The only way I could have gotten it apart would have been by breaking the carrier or something. This is my daily driver right now, so that was not an option.

So, I began looking for rear ends and there was nothing around me. I called every damn salvage yard around me. Finally, I found this guy who was taking out his rear end and installing '99 Cobra IRS in his Fox, so he sold it to me. Worked out pretty good. Anyone want a brand new set of Richmond 3.73s and installation kit? lol

Email me a price you would want shipped for the gears and installation kit. I'm in the market for a new set of 3.73's. Thanks man

Nick

[email protected]

I'm really loving the gears so far. The car just has a lighter feeling to it and is just all around quicker. The bottom of 2nd pulls a lot better now instead of being all doggy and ****. I can also turn corners at slow speed in 3rd instead of 2nd now. I'm going to have to get an aluminum DS asap or something though because the vibration is pretty annoying already. Too bad I'm too broke to buy one anytime soon. :(

ALMOSTFINISHED said:
Email me a price you would want shipped for the gears and installation kit. I'm in the market for a new set of 3.73's. Thanks man

Nick

[email protected]

E-mail sent. :)