Rear Noise Mainly On Deceleration

Roelito78

Jan 16, 2017
Guys, I just purchased a 96 Mustang Gt with 96000 miles.I have noticed that thereally is a noise coming from the back of the car mainly while decelerating. It's like a whoop sound or woo woo woo. I can barely hear it while in 4th or 5th gear. I lifted my car from the rear a spun the wheels and can't hear it. I started the car with it lifted and hit the gas and can't hear it outside. Popped the trunk and my wife hit the gas and I can hear it inside the trunk. It sounds like it's coming from both sides. When I'm driving It appears is coming from the rear passenger side. What can it be?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sponsors (?)

Could it be axle bearings? Or a bad axle? I cant seemed to hear the noice while outside the car. Could be due to the exhaust tone. I'm hoping is not the pinion or gears. Its not a whining sound its more of a wah wah wah rather than a whine. Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

It could be gears? So far everyone I have talked to says it is bearings or pinion but Im not sure. I cannot hear anything outside and if the sound is there I am not noticing it.

From my experience: The bearings will squawk like a little bird when they are going out and usually do it when letting off the throttle until they get so bad, then they will do it non stop (at that point it's almost too late).

If you get what I describe as a howl/growl etc when letting off then it typically (not always) means the gears are not shimmed properly or there is another gear related issue.

Find a good gear shop (4x4 places are usually very knowledgeable) or ask around to some folks to let a mechanic properly diagnose.

Thats what Im probably going to do. I dont really trust any shops in my area but it may be my only option. The howl is not consistent. Is more of a wah wah wah wah until the car slows down then it goes away. Its not a metal against metal sound. Hopefully I get lucky and its something small. The car looks bone stock except for exhaust and headers.

Im going to purchase a stethoscope and see if I can pin point the area of sound. Someone on another forum mentioned a clogged breather bolt. Not sure how a clogged breather would cause the sound.

Again, my disclaimer is this is the interwebs and I cannot possibly predict an accurate outcome but a wah wah wah screams gear set up to me. It's more of an annoyance and could potentially cause premature wear but likely not detrimental to your car.

Ok, purchased a stethescope and nothing can be heard. Maybe a little on the right hub but not noticebale. Inside the car in 4th gear and car in the air sounded like sand moving around in the rear. Popped the trunk and could hear it as a stuck my head in there. Outside the car? Cant hear a thing

Diagnosing Rear Differential Noise
There are various situations which can create rear differential noise. For example, howling of gears is a sure sign of wearing. If you notice that the howling noise only occurs during deceleration, then it is a good indicator that the pinion-bearing preload has loosened.

Howling under acceleration at various speeds, however, indicates that the gears are already worn out or are out of alignment or depth with each other. If rear differential noise occurs while accelerating the car only at a certain speed, it is likely because the gears have become worn due to overloading and lubrication failure. If your gears are newly installed and still create a howling noise, double-check its preload and make sure that the teeth are properly aligned.

Rumbling and whirring noises at speed over 20 mph, moreover, can be the result of worn carrier bearings. For vehicles with C-clip axles, the rear differential noise may change at different turns. Generally, worn out pinion bearings can create whirring noises at various speeds, be it may during deceleration and/or acceleration. If the pinion bearings are the problem, they create more of a whirring noise than a rumble because it turns several times faster than the carrier assembly. Regular clunking every few feet can also be an indicator of a broken pinion gear and/or chipped and damaged ring gear.

Overly worn out bearings tend to make a howling noise when they do not properly support the gears. Rumbling while turning, on the other hand, is a sign of bad wheel bearings. Clunking and banging noises on the corners can be due to lack of sufficient posi-traction lubrication, broken spider gears, or worn posi-traction or limited-slip clutches. Broken spider gears, moreover, can also immobilize the differential and create a loud, crunching sound during final departure. If the rear differential noise is characterized by clunking every two or three feet, then there is a great chance that a broken ring gear is the problem with the section with the broken teeth banging or grinding as it tries to engage the pinion.

Having a chipped or missing high spot on a gear tooth sounds closely similar to a broken gear except that the rear differential noise only happens while accelerating or decelerating. This is because the problem is just present on one side of the offending tooth. This rear differential noise is described as a heavy clicking type of sound which occurs every eight feet or so. If the pinion is the one that has a high spot, the noise occurs every two or three feet and is much more pronounced because of its higher frequency

Neuron, thanks for the great info. At this point I cant tell what type of sound Im really hearing. While driving I hear a woo woo woo woo sound while decelerating. I can hear it at constant speed also but more defined at deceleration. While I had the car up in the air I can hear like small rocks or sand from inside the car in 4th gear sounds mainly from the passenger rear. Whats weird is I cant hear much outside. I crawled under the car with the gear in 4th and nothing. Not even the stethescope can pick up what Im hearing inside the car.

One thing I did notice is the driveshaft moves as I twist it with the car turned off and brakes on. Is this normal for the shaft to move? It moves about 1/4 of an inch to the left and to the right.

I would pull off the cover for inspection and fluid change, only a few bolts and maybe see something(fingers crossed ) in there. No seepage from axle shafts? A leaking seal there can be caused by a bad wheel bearing. The driveshaft itself should have no movement, there is play in the rear end that is normal.

There is seepege on the right wheel on the hub. The inside of the wheel has a bit of greasy buildup that looks like it has been there a while. My Dad and I test drove the car today and the sound can clearly be heard from the right.