Redneck Supercharger

justinakajuice

Jan 20, 2015
I figured I'd share a story about a redneck supercharger I made with a buddy for an 84 GT. He bought the car, an auto, carbed 5.0, for 500 bucks. We decided it would be a good idea to paint the car yellow. We rattle-canned the hood yellow and blacked out the scoop. Looked okay, lost interest in doing the rest of the car. Next we were trying to figure out what to do with it when we decided to use a gas powered leaf blower to see if it would boost it. After laughing for about 5 minutes, we got to work. We needed a custom air box to direct the air into the carb. 12-pack of Coors Light and some duct tape took care of that. Actually looked halfway decent. Next was how to figure out how we could plumb it. We wound up taking some dryer tubing, the flexible kind, and we test fit it to the Coors Light Limited Edition airbox and the output of the leaf blower. But where are you going to put the leaf blower? Where is the tubing going to go? Well, really the only place for the blower was inbetween the two front seats. As for the tubing, we managed to get it under the passenger side fender and through the passenger side window.

Time for some test hits. Prior to our redneck blower install, that POS couldn't chirp 2nd gear. Believe me, we tried. Go time. My buddy drove, while I sat in the back seat, passenger side with the blower. He gunned it and I fired up the blower, on rabbit setting of course, and we got thrown back in the seat. Passenger front seat came back and hit me. As we hit 2nd, The wheels broke loose. I'll be damned if that thing didn't work. I wish I had pictures for you, but it's a pretty easy visual. It was hilarious.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Yeah, they don't really work very well, even when you do it right. They aren't good at pressurizing the air, nor can they feed enough air a WOT in the high RPM ranges you want it to. Maybe 10-30hp at best case scenarios? Now if you remove a really crappy intake, plus adding a leaf blower, you'll notice more i guess.

There is a way to get a noticeable difference from a leaf blower. That way is to have an inlet tract that is so terrible that any increase in velocity will be an improvement.

If you were to apply the same leaf blower to an unrestricted inlet tract then the improvement would be less noticeable. The leaf blower improves response much the same way as a good aftermarket CAI but uses different means to ensure air volume.

The bottle neck between intake valve and ambient air has to be somewhere. If it's between the throttle body and ambient air, the leaf blower will have the biggest effect. Beyond that, you'd get diminished returns because vacuum is so much higher on the outlet side of the TB. This is pretty much why aftermarket CAIs exist.

It wanted to break the tires loose pre-LB, but just couldn't. Putting it on there gave it that little extra it needed. Nowhere near worth finding a way to make it permanent, but it was funny as hell. I encourage anyone with a half-dead fox body to try it!

It wanted to break the tires loose pre-LB, but just couldn't. Putting it on there gave it that little extra it needed. Nowhere near worth finding a way to make it permanent, but it was funny as hell. I encourage anyone with a half-dead fox body to try it!

Well now you know that you have some work to do on your inlet tract. hehe

I saw an episode of road kill and they did this with some car and dynoed like 2 extra hp and some torque in the low end. They explained that it kinda helped with throttle response because the air was there right away. Not that Id ever try it though.. :rolleyes:

I figured I'd share a story about a redneck supercharger I made with a buddy for an 84 GT. He bought the car, an auto, carbed 5.0, for 500 bucks. We decided it would be a good idea to paint the car yellow. We rattle-canned the hood yellow and blacked out the scoop. Looked okay, lost interest in doing the rest of the car. Next we were trying to figure out what to do with it when we decided to use a gas powered leaf blower to see if it would boost it. After laughing for about 5 minutes, we got to work. We needed a custom air box to direct the air into the carb. 12-pack of Coors Light and some duct tape took care of that. Actually looked halfway decent. Next was how to figure out how we could plumb it. We wound up taking some dryer tubing, the flexible kind, and we test fit it to the Coors Light Limited Edition airbox and the output of the leaf blower. But where are you going to put the leaf blower? Where is the tubing going to go? Well, really the only place for the blower was inbetween the two front seats. As for the tubing, we managed to get it under the passenger side fender and through the passenger side window.

Time for some test hits. Prior to our redneck blower install, that POS couldn't chirp 2nd gear. Believe me, we tried. Go time. My buddy drove, while I sat in the back seat, passenger side with the blower. He gunned it and I fired up the blower, on rabbit setting of course, and we got thrown back in the seat. Passenger front seat came back and hit me. As we hit 2nd, The wheels broke loose. I'll be damned if that thing didn't work. I wish I had pictures for you, but it's a pretty easy visual. It was hilarious.
You should do that to your s550. Then yell blower charged while you drive.